1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Is the OTA channels still working on VOOM boxes?

Discussion in 'VoomTalk.Com (Closed Forum)' started by Michael P, May 10, 2005.

1. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Title says it all. There have been several posts in the past wondring about using old VOOM boxes for HD OTA. I havn't seen anything about this subject since shortly after the final cut-off was annonced.

Also just who owns these boxes? If you had to pay ~$700 IIRC to get it installed isn't it yours to keep. Others have said they were leased boxes, if so why the high price for installation? :confused:

2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Are the OTA channels still working on voom boxes? I don't know.

Voom had several "deals" over its short life. First were the 'purchase' deals costing some $400-$700+. Then, Voom offered various lease deals. The one I got was $0 up front, with a small monthly on the IRD. I would imagine that those who paid the $400-$700 now "own" their boxes, while those of us who got the no/low up front deals are under some form of a lease agreement, most likely now voided due to Voom's failure.

My voom box & remote will take up valuable space in my tech closet until such time as 1) someone shows up at my door to claim it; 2) it becomes a collectors item on eBay; or, I need the space in my closet, whichever comes first.

If I only had a boat! :shrug:

3. Kazy

Kazy Mentor

Mar 4, 2004
    I just purchased a used Voom box and the OTA works just fine.

Kaz

4. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    :cool: Keep us posted on how well it works as an OTA box.