1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Is the Super Buddy 29 necessary for Directv installs?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by Soulweeper, May 29, 2013.

1. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    I do Exede installs now, and the guy I work for just became a Directv dealer, so obviously we'll both be needing a good meter. It sounds like the Super Buddy is the best way to go, and that the regular Super Buddy is sufficient, and the Super Buddy 29 is able to power the old WildBlue Tria's, and some other stuff, but other than that, there is no difference, and not necessary for Directv. Just want to make sure that's true. Going to watch Ebay, and noticed the Super Buddy 29 is more.

Thanks in advance!

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    You can use the AIM meter as well. The Birdog is a favorite of installers because it's less expensive but if you do SWM installs be sure to get the Ultra as it will power the dish. There are also some other lower priced alternatives out there that power the dish as well.

3. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Thanks!
    Someone told me the AIM meter doesn't hold up as well, and the guy I work for does some Dish installs, but not often, so he's looking for something that will do both, and apparently the Super Buddy will. The Birdog Ultra is something maybe I should look at then too.

4. Johnnie5000

Johnnie5000 Godfather

Mar 26, 2008
    The SuperBuddy does hold up better, but costs a helluva lot more. AIM meters are awesome but extremely fragile. If you're still going to do excede as well, the SuperBuddy is probably your best option to begin with.

5. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Yeah, I've heard that the AIM doesn't hold up as well, but you pay for that, you're right. The Exede isn't a concern, as no meter is needed, and I've never touched an old WildBlue system. Most people that have a service call end up upgrading. My one concern might be that if I did any Dish installs, that the Super Buddy would have me covered, and I wouldn't get that with the AIM meter.

6. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Godfather

Jan 6, 2009
    The SuperBuddys will NOT lock on DirecTV's ka signal

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    neither the Birdog. for these reason the AIM is preferred for DirecTV at least

8. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Stuart not sure the Birdog is less expensive than the AIM. When I bought my Birdog Ultra from Solid signal I believe it was $650 and the AIM which I bought as well was $450

9. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    It all depends on what type account you have setup with who you order it from. I bought an Ultra from P-10 for $479 but I have a reseller account with them.

10. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    it should help to point out that I bought the ULTRA about 5 years ago., the AIM about 3