1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Is the Xbox One going to work as an RVU/Genie client?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jasonblair, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Nov 8, 2013 #1 of 12
    jasonblair

jasonblair Icon

Sep 5, 2006
    I've seen mentions that the Xbox One will replace cable boxes on many cable provider networks, and there are screenshots that show the Xbox One with a TV guide whose channel numbers match up to DirecTV. So I am wondering, will the Xbox One be able to act as an RVU client to the Genie if hooked up via ethernet? That would be a fairly nice and clean way to set things up!

2. Nov 8, 2013 #2 of 12
    peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Most I have seen suggests that the Xbox One is to be used WITH the satellite or cable receiver, not replace it.

3. Nov 8, 2013 #3 of 12
    sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Maybe... PS3 is rumored to be.

4. Nov 8, 2013 #4 of 12
    RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
  5. Nov 8, 2013 #5 of 12
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    The current PS3 is an RVU client?

6. Nov 8, 2013 #6 of 12
    RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    No, but IIRC it was a strong rumor that one was going to be coming.

7. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    The Xbox One will not be an RVU client. The TV integration on the Xbox One is via HDMI passthrough. You connect your receiver to the Xbox, and it has IR blasters in the Kinect (and a connection on the back for external blasters, too, if needed)

8. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    That doesn't mean that it couldn't be, all they'd need to do is write the client software code to provide the RVU function. But since Microsoft isn't part of the RVU Alliance, and frankly it doesn't look like RVU is setting the world on fire, I agree that it won't have a client piece added.

9. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Well of course it *could* be, but it's not. My laptop *could* be an RVU client, but that would require HP to actually make it happen. Don't expect a surprise next week and it turn out to be one. If it were going to have that functionality, it would have been announced. The Xbox One is NOT an RVU client at this point in time, and to be honest there's no reason to think it ever would be. Microsoft's approach to TV on the Xbox is apps, and the one guide is simply a way to bring whatever TV provider you have into the fold without having to partner with anyone specifically.

10. TheFigurehead

TheFigurehead AllStar

Mar 28, 2009
    I have a question about this HDMI Passthrough. Is it going to have the same issues that my Google Review has with "Content not supported" on some of the channels?

11. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    As it usually is with HDCP issues, Microsoft will probably tell you it'll work fine. The truth is, however, nobody really knows. You'll just have to test it out with your combination of receiver, Xbox One, AV receiver, and television.

12. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Wonder how this will pan out with DirecTV RVU clients (C31/41) as they enforced HDCP on all channels