1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Is there a PCI card capable of decoding Dish network programming?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by fiasco, Jan 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fiasco

fiasco Guest

Jan 9, 2005
    Is there any available pc cards that can decode and display dish programming just like a standard dish receiver (including paid for programming)?

Dish networks PVR's suck and I would like to try something like Media Portal or MythTV and two Dish Network capable PCI cards as a PVR instead.

If there is a PC card capable of decoding dish network programming, is there an HD version of this card?

2. MrAkai

MrAkai Legend

Aug 9, 2002
    There was (at least announced, don't know if it ever shipped) a PCI card from E* several years ago, but I don't know if it was capable of video, I think they sold it for DVB-S data service, like their BTV is resold sat space for corporate downlinks.

Several makers in europe make DVB-S cards, some of which can (as advertised at least) be fitted with a Nagravision card readers. Now I doubt E* would agree to activate it even if it was compatable, but you might be able to get the barker channels and other FTA stuff)

What we really need is mandated firewire in HD Sat recievers like it is in HD Cable boxes, then we could use our PCs (or a dedicated HTPC) as a DVR.

3. Big Bob

Big Bob Godfather

May 13, 2002
    just asked the same question on scott's forum
    got a bit of info there

4. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Apr 22, 2002
    DVB-S cards are available in the USA. DISH Network will not activate the ones with card interface, but any of them can be used to receive the FTA channels with appropriate software.

5. mindwarp

mindwarp Legend

May 18, 2003
    Hmmm... it would be nice, and at the right price, even I would pay for that.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I picked up a DVB-S card a while back. It would take a decent software programmer to make a system anywhere near the current DVR/PVR offerings despite their bugs ... let alone the issue that E* would never authorize the homebrew receiver on their stream.

It does come in handy for monitoring the data streams looking for new channels and changes. :D

JL

7. fiasco

fiasco Guest

Jan 9, 2005
    The only reason I would consider this kind of setup is because the existing set top Dish PVR's suck. They are complete garbage.

From my examination of both MythTV and Media Portal, both appear to be more sophisticated and easier to use then Dish network PVR's. I have Media Portal on my laptop right now and it is pretty impressive "homebrew".

In addition to being superior software, a PC based DVR would easily and readily be upgradeable to virtually unlimited hard drive capacity.

8. alebowgm

alebowgm Hall Of Fame

Jun 12, 2004
    Ya, I am very surprised that they have yet to come out with anything for those who wish to use their computer. There are those who have some setups where they only have a TV Tuner, especially in dorms and small apartments.

I think it would be pretty cool...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.