1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a reason to upgrade from 100 to 700?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by PaulQ, Jul 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulQ

PaulQ New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Newbie here. After 2 months of installation insanity, I am seeing HD TV!

I have been exploring these boards and read quite a bit about the HR20-100 and HR20-700. I am pretty sure I have the 100. I read the thread that (sort of) explains the differences between the two. Is there any pressing reason I should try to get DirecTV to swap out my boxes?

Based on the info here, I can't tell?

Thanks!!
    :)

2. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Welcome to DBSTalk :D

The 100 is just as good as the 700. Really no reason to swap it. Except for some very minor hardware differences, they are basically the same.

3. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    The 100 is actually the "newer" model of the two. Both are functionally the same though.

4. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Press and hold the info button on the remote.

When the screen repopulates with the system information, you can easily tell if it is a -100 or -700.

There is no reason to swap out one for the other. Turn it on and have fun. They are basically the exact same unit with the exception of who the OEM manufacturer is.

You have located one of the best forums in the world for discussing and help on the Directv HR20.

Welcome to the forum and have fun here as well!

5. alaskahill

alaskahill AllStar

Jul 15, 2007
    No need for understating it.... I can't think of another forum that comes remotely close to the info you can get here.:)

6. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    There are some minor differences - the 100 has a coaxial digital audio output, a second Ethernet jack and runs cooler (better ventilation?) If I had a choice, I'd pick the 100.

7. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I think the title of the thread is a little miss leading. Because going from a -100 to a -700 is not upgrading. It is swapping since they are about the same units.

8. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    How do you know it runs cooler? Remember the temperature sensor could be in a different location. You can move a sensor on any computer motherboard and get drastically different temperature readings.

9. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    It's important to note that the second Ethernet jack is not active, and probably never will be.

10. MarkMac

MarkMac AllStar

Sep 4, 2006
    How about Remote RF functionality? My new HR20-100 is basically useless in RF mode. Do the -700s have the same issue?

11. directvfreak

directvfreak Godfather

Feb 1, 2006
    Do you have the RF antenna connected to the back? without out on the -100, the remote won't work in RF mode.

12. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    It appears that the RF on the -700 is much better than on the -100.

13. MarkMac

MarkMac AllStar

Sep 4, 2006
    Sure do. I've tried it both connected directly to the back, and with a 6ft coax extension so I can move the antenna around. No luck either way (unless the remote is within ~2 ft of the antenna).

14. n-spring

n-spring Legend

Mar 5, 2007
    I can second this. I just got my HR20-100 on Friday. The tech told me not to even bother running the remote in RF mode. Me, being who I am, tried it anyway after he left. It no worky. I went back to IR mode.

Has this been noted before in any of the CE threads?

15. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    Personally, I don't. I'm just going by what I've read elsewhere in the forum. It is said that ventilation on the -100 is better You're right that changing the sensor location will render any comparison useless.

16. bto4wd

bto4wd Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Apr 17, 2007
    Today I observed that the sensor appears to be on the HD with the fan sitting directly below the HD.

17. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    There's something not right with the RC34, when used with the HR20-100. I had the same HORRID performance with the RC34, on my HR20-100. However, I ordered and received, from Directv, the RC64RB and that works GREAT with my HR20-100, in RF mode. It's night and day. Compared them side by side and the RC64RB performed perfectly, seeing all and any keypress. However, the RC34 was awfull, taking multiple key presses, to get it to do just one of them.

I don't know what it is, but there's something just not right between the RC34 and the HR20-100's.

18. n-spring

n-spring Legend

Mar 5, 2007
    I don't see any obvious model number on the remote, but there is an FCC ID on the back. How do you know what model you have? I didn't see a model number associated with the RF remote on DirecTV's website either, and it looks identical to the one I already have.

19. MarkMac

MarkMac AllStar

Sep 4, 2006
    The model # should be in the upper left hand corner--just above the TV Input button.

20. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    As MarkMac said, the model # of the remote should be printed on the front upper left corner of the remote. As for ordering the RC64RB, just go into your account and click on "Equipment Upgrade" and order the Directv Universal RF remote(make sure you order the RF version) and you should receive the RC64RB, as that is what they are sending out(this is how I got mine, as per others saying to order it this way).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.