1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Is there a Remote made for Young Kids?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by dreadlk, Sep 29, 2009.

1. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Is there a remote that a 4-5 year old can use that I can program so he can change the Channel up/Down and has big buttons on it and thats it.

I dont want him to be turning on and off the TV as he may do it 50 times in a row and I dont want him blasting the volume or God forbid getting into menus.
    I just want to setup a favorites list that has about 5 or 6 kids channels in it leave it on that in the morning so when he gets home he will be able to just switch between them instead of being stuck on the one channel I leave it on.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I think I've seen big button remotes for elderly people. If button size didn't matter, you could get a universal remote, like a cheap Harmony remote, and reprogram/remap every button to just be channel up & down.

Just throwing ideas out there.

3. DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie Icon

Nov 3, 2007
    While not the cheapest of solutions, I agree with the programable Universal Remote idea mentioned above.

We have a URC MX-880 for our 5 year old daughter (she's been using it about a year now) and we have the remote programmed with icons of her favorite channels.

When she wants to watch TV, all she has to do is press the icon of her choice and the remote sends commands to turn on the Satellite Receiver, the TV, place it on the correct input, and key in the corresponding channel number.

Variables can also be programmed in the remote so that, for example, if the TV is already on, then only the channel numbers are inputted.

The MX-880 is completely customizable, so if desired, any button can be disabled. A macro can even be programmed so that the volume will always be at a predetermined level. (Or at least to not go any higher).

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
  5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Also, moving this to the proper forum.

6. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
  7. tcusta00

tcusta00 New Member

Dec 31, 2007
    We let my 3 year old daughter watch 20 minutes of her "shows" before nap in our bedroom. We have the DirecTV Quicktune setup with a few of her channels (Disney, Noggin, etc) and she knows to press the up arrow and then use the arrows to point to the channel she wants (logos help here) and then press the yellow button. Works pretty well and you don't need a dedicated remote.

8. Reaper

Reaper Godfather

Jul 30, 2008
  9. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007