1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Is There A Roku Or Similar Streaming Device That Works With DISH Anywhere?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Jim148, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Feb 4, 2014 #1 of 25
    Jim148

Jim148 Godfather

Jun 22, 2004
    I have a DISH 722k and use both a Sling Adapter and a Slingbox PRO HD. I am considering a Roku or similar type of streaming device and I am just wondering if any of them with work with either the DISH Anywhere or SlingPlayer applications?

2. Feb 5, 2014 #2 of 25
    Jim148

Jim148 Godfather

Jun 22, 2004
  3. Feb 5, 2014 #3 of 25
    AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    I have a 922 and the older hopper with USB sling box from dish.... I use my phones hdmi output( galaxy note 2) a Toshiba tablet with hdmi outputs, and android mini pc that hooks to my TVs hdmi... Your limited to dish anywhere and the free aps.... Or the sling stand alone and pay 14.99 for each device...

4. Feb 5, 2014 #4 of 25
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    While you can get Slingplayer for several devices, I'm not sure that all of them are compatible with the Sling adapter. For the same reason that you can't use dishanywhere.com with a Slingbox, you may not be able to use some versions of Slingplayer with a Sling adapter.

5. Feb 5, 2014 #5 of 25
    tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Slingplayer - for the ProHD does have an app on a few devices. Roku isn't really one of them as you might think. That app for some reason only allows you to stream your Slingbox from a mobile device to the roku, and thus your TV.

The Netgear players are actual full apps - you can watch your slingbox right from the app on them just as if you were on the computer using slingplayer or from the Sling site. I do not know about the other players though I believe the WD players are also full apps.

6. Feb 5, 2014 #6 of 25
    harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The Roku is clearly not there yet and the advertising is more than a little misleading as tampa8 points out.

My recollection is that they've essentially done away with the Logitech Revue version.

1 person likes this.
  7. Feb 6, 2014 #7 of 25
    Wilf

Wilf Legend

Oct 15, 2008
    You might want to look at the Vulkano Flow. It is relatively cheap, a bit tricky to set up, and the iPad app sucks. But the image quality is surprisingly good. The Mac and Windows apps are OK.

8. Feb 6, 2014 #8 of 25
    tampa8

Mar 30, 2002
    That won't help the OP. It's also not as versatile as the Sling family is.

9. Feb 7, 2014 #9 of 25
    comizzou573

comizzou573 Legend

Aug 6, 2007
    dish should add a roku app to the dish hopper w/sling, then we can subscribe to aereo local channels

10. Jim148

Jim148 Godfather

Jun 22, 2004
    I bought both a Netgear NeoTV and a Roku 3. Despite having SlingPlayer on the Netgear, the Roku 3 is a much better device.

11. tampa8

Mar 30, 2002
    True, but the WD player live I posted about does have the app, and is much better than the NEO, though not as many apps available yet as the Roku. I now use the WD player all the time for my slingboxes the picture is better than you would expect. (Of course internet speed must be enough)

1 person likes this.
  12. aaronbud

aaronbud Legend

Nov 3, 2006
    I just ordered the sling adapter for my 722k, and I already have a WDTV live. Looking forward to using the SlingPlayer app on the wdtv on my back patio hdtv! Hopefully this is the wireless solution I have been looking for.

1 person likes this.
  13. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    This is why I personally think the Roku Slingbox channel is almost worthless. For one thing, it works only with the wireless connection enabled. If your Roku is connected hard-wired like my two are (primarily because my UVerse wireless router really sucks), the Sling Player channel won't work. Second, you have to fire up Sling Player on your phone, then tune to the Roku channel and hope the connection is good enough to watch. (Get ready for some incessant buffering!)

What a HUGE thing it would be if Roku would simply have a true Sling channel, effectively turning that channel into an embedded Slingbox.

14. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Wishful thinking, I'm sure.

Sent from my EVO using DBSTalk mobile app

15. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I want one!

16. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I was under the impression that the Slingplayer software wasn't compatible with the Sling Adapter. Is that not the case?

17. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I'd love one.

18. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    How is Vulkano Flow set up with a Dish Anywhere?

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile app

19. jeremybe

jeremybe New Member

May 16, 2014
    United States
    Ok, So I'm a little confused here - ANY help would be appreciated - I have both a Dish Hopper with Sling and one without Sling - Dish forces us to use the Dish Anywhere app/web site as opposed to the Sling Player app - I have a second home and I'm trying to use Dish Anywhere from my hopper to stream TV at this location 2 -3 days a month - Using the Dish Anywhere app on the iPhone, Dish has disabled Video over Airplay to my Apple TV in the app and only sends Audio - Yet the Stand alone Sling Player app works with Airplay just fine but does not work with the Hopper with Sling built in- What are my options?

I can build a Home Theatre PC for the sole purpose of running the Dish Anywhere Web site - Expensive and crazy just for this

Can I add a Sling Adapter to my non-sling Hopper and use the Sling App? Would that work?

Are there any other options? I really HATE the way Dish is restricting this app

Thanks for your help!

20. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I can't speak to the specifics of the Hopper w/ Sling and your problems with Airplay... but Hopper w/ Sling and Hopper + Sling Adapter have the same problem... being that they do not support the Slingplayer software. You have to use the specific Dish app for those.

Now... you could buy a standard Slingbox and connect that to your Hopper... and then use Slingplayer software for that.