1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Is there a satellite flaking out or is it just me?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by SayWhat?, Aug 19, 2013.

1. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I get some channels, but not others (Complete Signal Loss message). I don't know what channels are on which satellites though. I'm supposed to be getting 110 and 119 I guess. Both test good and check switch tests good

I get Rural, TVLand and GSN, not sure what all else. Not getting SCI, ID or Disc for example.

2. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I'm getting 61-61 on the signal meter for 110 and 73 or so on 119. Both lock with the Sat name.

Also getting 70 or so on 105, whatever that is.

Did a power boot from the front panel on/off button on the 512.

3. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Nothing is on 110 anymore is it? He's your signals on the other satelites. 119 is mostly locals and foreign language.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

4. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    So what am I supposed to have for the Western Arc?

5. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Oh shoot. I thought this was dtv. Lol. Sorry no clue on dish side. Ignore what I said.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    If you have western arc... you should also have 129. You didn't mention 129... so if you lost 129, that might explain a bunch of missing channels.

I'm on eastern arc, so can't say if there are any western arc issues at the moment.

7. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    On the Installation Summary Details page, I see:

Port 1 DPP Twin, 119 Even, Odd
    Port 2 DPP Twin, 110 Even, Odd
    Port 3 External LNB: None, No connection

The same thing shows for both Satellite Inputs.

8. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Did a cold boot - unplugged for about a minute, plugged back in, did the acuiring and guide download, but no change otherwise.

9. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Dish is on the roof, so nothing should have moved or obstructed it. Guess I can check the LNB in the morning for bird poop.

10. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I don't remember what package you subscribe to (if you have mentioned it before) or if you have HD receivers or not.

IF you don't have HD, maybe you don't have 129... but if you do have HD then missing 129 is a definite problem.

11. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    No HD.

512 Receiver; AT250.

12. RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Suspect the 512 may have problems. The 512 started life as a 522 receiver about 10 years ago so you got it as a well used receiver.

13. Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Feb 1, 2011
    [SIZE=medium]I know this can be frustrating and I wanted to check and see if you’re still having the issue with Signal Loss. What are the channels that you’re having the signal loss on? Will the signal loss be intermitting or consistent? [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]Thanks[/SIZE]

14. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    ^^ I don't really know what all channels were missing ... some are listed above, also HMC, HUB and a few others. Nobody posted a list of what channels are on what satellites, so I couldn't test for sure.

I don't really know what happened and I don't really know what I did, but I seem to have it back, at least for now.

When I didn't find any visible obstructions I started messing around with the Point Dish screen and peaking. Even when I had a signal lock (around 55-60) and ID on 110, I wasn't getting the missing channels. 119 was locked also around 70. Sometimes 119 would lock but not 110. Sometimes 110 would show 'Wrong Satellite" on the point dish screen.

I tried adjusting both azimuth and elevation and could never really get any better than those numbers, but no matter what, the channels were missing.

The ONLY thing I changed was the port coming from the DP Plus LNB that goes inside to the 512. There are two COAX leads coming out of it to a twin ground block at the base of the dish mount bracket. I moved the house cable from one to the other.

Signals are still at the numbers mentioned above, but I now have the missing channels. I'm not sure why though, or if it's only temporary.

Not sure I can afford a service call if that LNB is going bad and needs to be replaced.

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    are you with dish or DTV ?

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    See www.dishuser.org for channel's line up

17. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Lost it again. It was working fine for a while, but the problem is back. Switched leads on the block again, but nothing changed this time. 110 is showing a level of under 10 and I know the dish hasn't moved in the last few days.

Could this be an LNB issue? If so, what do they cost form Dish? I'm pretty sure I can get them from other sources, but is it just a matter of swapping it out, or is there something else involved? And then what if I change it and the problem remains?

18. CeeWoo

CeeWoo Godfather

Dec 1, 2008
    I'm thinking I may have had a brain freeze when I read this thread earlier - but your question 'could this be an LNB issue?' just jogged my memory. I have a dish500 that I use when camping (we RV a lot). Anyhow, late last summer, I was experiencing problems with the signal strength 'fading' to the point it was unusable (especially if the sun shined directly on the face of the dish). Long story short-problem was still occuring when I started camping this past spring, so I went on Ebay, found a dish500 lnb (new from some guy in Canada who sells a bunch of them) and bought one (as I recall it was somewhere around $20 delivered, and I haven't had a problem since

19. RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    I still suspect the 512 as being the problem the bunch of Channel Master Twins that were temperature sensitive should have been replaced years ago, except for the occasional usages.

20. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Checked it this morning and found out 110 was back again.