1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Is there a way for me to split my HD signal?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by josh22, Dec 21, 2012.

1. josh22

josh22 New Member

Dec 21, 2012
    I am in a situation where I am looking to add a projector to a recently finished home theater. The room has no tv service right now and I would like to know how I can use my current service to supply HD television to the projector. Right now I have one VIP722 supplying service to 2 TVs. The signal will need to come to a Yamaha AVR. Is it possible or do I have to pay for another receiver?

Additional info:

OTA HD is not an option.

Yamaha receiver is HDMI capable (it's the v673).

The HT is located in the basement directly under the room where the 722 is located but the AVR and 722 are not on the same walls. If I had to run cable from the 722 to AVR it would probably be 40 to 50'.

I do not need to watch something different in the HT and the 722 location (mirroring is fine).

Thanks!

2. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    If you want HD to the tv, a coax run will not work. Most people would run component to one HD tv and HDMI to the other. There are HDMI splitters you can buy as well. Both of these setups will only allow the same program to be viewed on the two HD tv's. If you want independent programs at the same time, you would need to add another HD receiver to you Dish setup.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    use HDMI splitter

4. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
  5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    josh22, What outputs are you using to service the other 2 tvs currently? Is your new HT going to be the primary viewing location? If you are using HDMI upstairs, you'll want to get an HDMI splitter and/or repeater, provided you have a way to get the cabling to the your Yamaha downstairs.

6. josh22

josh22 New Member

Dec 21, 2012
    I'm using HDMI right now. HT will not be primary viewing but will just be used occasionally. I can probably figure out a way to get an HDMI cable run to my AVR downstairs but it will be a pain. Too bad I didn't think about this BEFORE I hung the sheet rock 2 weeks ago. :mad:

7. josh22

josh22 New Member

Dec 21, 2012
    That's intriguing. It would be easier and (and slightly) cheaper to pull two cat6 wires. Hmmmmm.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    There is WiFi HDMI extender/splitter - we discuss it recently here.

9. lsokoloff

lsokoloff AllStar

Nov 15, 2006
    I tried to search for that post about the WIFI extender but nothing came up. Got a link to that thread?

Thanks.

Len

10. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
  11. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    a balun can run on either cat5, cat6 or coax, depending on what balun u get. I've installed them before and some of them work well, some of them, not so well. I myself believe in direct connection, so both my 722 and 922 are connected to each location via HDMI and component. My 922 is in the basement, connected locally via HDMI, its also connected to my MBR via component (3 coax's an 1 cat5 for audio), while my 722 in the MBR is connected locally via component, and to the basement via a 50ft HDMI. I managed to fish the wiring straight down a chase from the attic to the mechanical room. So its up to u, use a balun for either component video or HDMI, or just run an HDMI down to the Projector and connect your TV upstairs via component (save's u from buying an HDMI splitter). I would probably make the HDMI connection to the projector, and component to the TV. Component does 1080i, as does HDMI but HDMI will also do 1080p but the only 1080p content is Video Ondemand. You really want 1080p on a projector but since theres so lil of it available on Satv, its kind of a judgement call for yourself. Now as for a Blu-ray, you would definitly want to connect that via HDMI. You've gotta get an HDMI up to your projector anyway, from the AVR. So u really only need to get a connection from your DVR to the AVR.

12. Tiny

Tiny Mentor

Feb 1, 2009
    This worked for me I hooked my living room TV to component and used the monoprice HDMI extender to bedroom TV over Cat6 stp cables 30ft. length...price with shipping was $44.87 Im getting 1080i picture no problems........