1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a way I can get subchannels with DIRECTV?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by max1, Oct 19, 2011.

1. max1

max1 Godfather

Aug 12, 2005
    Hey, all, i have dish now but am thinking of bundling with century link. I wanted to know. Can you get the subchannels with D with the AM 21 or can i get the Digital converter and hook that up with D. I get the subchannels now with Dish and we have Me-tv it's a must have for me as a subchannel Would welcome any ideas. Max.

2. Crystal Pepsi Ball

Crystal Pepsi Ball Godfather

Jun 29, 2004
    West Valley...
    As long as you get an HDDVR (HR21 or higher) and a AM21 Off-Air Tuner for $50, then you can get OTA Digital channels.

3. HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07 Icon

Sep 12, 2007
    Actually, HR20 or higher. With HR20, you would not need an AM-21.

4. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Yes you can as mentioned above. I use an AM21 with my HR22-100's to receive sub-channels and out of markets HD channels. The AM21 allows two markets OTA so if you are close to two markets it's more than worth the cost.

Edit: A standard digital tv converter will not integrate with the HDDVR, the AM21 will and the channels will show up in your guide and be recordable.

5. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    However, the OTA sub-channels will need to be in DirecTV's database as the AM21 does not have the capability to do an actual scan.

6. max1

max1 Godfather

Aug 12, 2005
    Ok thanks guys one more thing if i get the am 21 can i still tape the shows off of me-tv with the dvr for example it's 7.2 here in omaha and i get the channel with antenna. Does the channel show up in the guide? it sounds like an easy setup. I think will bundle with century link and d.

7. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Keep in mind that D* is not adding new subchannels. I have an OTA antenna hooked up to an HR20-700, and I'm missing several subchannels because D* can't add them to the guide.

8. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    If you want to see what OTA channels are included in DIRECTV's guide data, checkout this thread.

Use the tutorial to find your market and there's an OTA tab that lists all the available stations in that particular market.

9. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    I have an hr24 on a plasma, an h25 on an older crt tv with no HD tuner, and soon to get an hXX on an analog tv. If I wanted to add an antenna, would I still need an HD set top box for the older HD crt tv, and a digital to analog converter box for the analog tv?

10. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Here is a screen shot of what the integration looks like. The black channels are from the OTA integration. I have it edited to a favorites list, but you get the idea. They are flawless with the DVR and you wouldn't know they're not from Directv if it wasn't for the black background on the guide and the long, stupid names like WRALDT2, and the lack of channel logos in the upper left hand corner on most AM21 channels.

Attached Files:

• am21.jpg
      am21.jpg
      File size:
      36.1 KB
      Views:
  11. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Yep, we're up to missing 3 right now - two of which ARE MeTV subs. :mad: :rolleyes:

And since many of the new MeTV subchannel DMA's have/were just recently added, there's a good chance yours might NOT be in D* (incomplete) database - which then you are SOL at being able to get it thru your D* receiver at all.

12. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    some have speculated the issue is a limitation in the way guide data is processed.

13. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    To give Directv a little slack, there are over 4000 OTA channels in the data stream!
    I too would like the ability to "scan" but we have to deal with what's available.

Doctor j

14. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I'd give DIRECTV a little slack if I felt they deserved it here. But this is a problem of their own making by going against all manner of commonsense in not allowing for OTA scanning in their design, they've created this oversized inaccurate database debacle of an off-air system.

15. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    I agree with this.
    However i realize Directv is under no obligation to provide any OTA functionality.

Doctor j

16. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    I agree doctor j on this. I am also a little surprised that people get that upset about not having scanning. I am thrilled that I can get another major market in HD where I live. My local cable company offers some of the Chicago locals here but only in SD(My market is Milwaukee, WI), no subchannels from Chicago and a lot of Chicago blackouts. With DIRECTV I can get the HD channels, the subchannels and no blackouts all incorporated in my guide with the ability to record. It's great.

Scanning would be nice but I am very happy with what I have.

17. Barcthespark

Barcthespark Godfather

Dec 16, 2007
    In my area I cannot get 3 or 4 of the subchannels. Unfortunately not all of us have it quite as good as you.

18. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If they're selling the tuner, it seems reasonable to expect that it will work. "Oh well" is not a satisfactory answer; especially when the channels in question are typically ones that DIRECTV has "failed" to otherwise provide.

19. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    If they allowed scanning, then we would start seeing threads pop up about how some channels have no guide information.

Kevin

20. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    But I would bet the people starting those threads would quickly back down when they were told that it is either allowing scanning and not having guide information for those channels, or not being able to access those channels at all.