1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Is there a way to know which channels Genie is tracking?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gsslug, Jun 11, 2013.

1. gsslug

gsslug Legend

Sep 13, 2006
    In the promotion for Genie they say you can tune in late to a show and watch it from the beginning. This is misleading since it is only true if one of the Genie's five tuners is tuned to the channel you want to watch. So the question is how do I know which channels the Genie is tuned to?

I almost never watch live TV and have all the shows I watch setup as a series. But every once in awhile I hear about a program that I don't want to watch regularly but they are running an episode I would like to watch and if I forget to tune to it when it starts it might be useful to know if it is being buffered on one of Genie's tuners. NOVA would be a good example. I'm not interested in everything they run but occasionally they run something I want to watch.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    In cases like that, I generally set a one time recording of the series, to pick up that one episode.

3. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    There was a feature on DISH that would auto-tune to a program yet not record it. It probably disappeared because it was not really a popular concept. Also, it made less sense once multiple tuners arrived, because a single tuner always showed the single channel the tuner was tuned to, while multiple tuners do not.

A workaround is to set a 1-minute manual recording of a show prior to the one you want in the buffer (for DVRs that can select among the buffers of channels that they are "tuned" to on the tuner side but not otherwise visible on the output side). There is probably a way to make that work for conventional 2-tuner DVRs as well, but you would probably have to set two concurrent recordings, or set one for 2 minutes and another for 1 minute ( and 1 minute later) to make the second one select that tuner and route it to the output.

But that's a lot of work.

If you regularly wish you had a one-off of the latest ep of a show but don't want to pile up a lot of old eps, I like dpeter's idea. Set a SL and set it to keep one ep.

I've been using that technique for a similar reason, which is that I lost most of the final season of Smallville. TNT or someone is running Smallville in sequential order 5 or 6 nights a week at about 3 AM, and I don't want to record all of the previous shows in the series, so having it keep one ep means that it will constantly be in the To Do List, and if I check that regularly I will know when to record the missing eps. I can also delete the eps scheduled that I don't want ahead of time and it will not take any HDD space at all for them, but even if I don't check in more than once every 9 or 10 days it is unlikely that I will miss the ones I want.

4. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Exactly. Far easier to do, and requires no clock watching to tune it.

5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The only way I have been able to "go back" is if the channel is being watched on a client. or it is recoding live

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Autotune is available on non DVRs on DirecTV. I never remember it's there, but was reminded last night when I saw them set up an autotune on one of their 80 TVs.

7. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    When I was using an H25, I tested autotune a few times, and found it useful only as a timer. If I am really concerned with watching something, I record it. No ifs, ands or buts.

8. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Autotune would be nice on DVR's especially for people that watch more LiveTV than recording, but also to remind you of a program that you didn't remember and decide to record it on the spot after setting up to Autotune that specific channel and time.

9. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    If you remembered to set an autotune, you would have then the opportunity to set a recording.

A recording is always safer than autotune or a buffer. People sometimes leave the room just before a critical juncture in the process.