1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there an HD receiver with 2 HD outputs?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by andy8888, Nov 15, 2008.

1. andy8888

andy8888 AllStar

Mar 8, 2005
    I have the vip622 receiver right now. Output 1 which is HD is connect to my lcd tv via HDMI. I have another CRT TV in the basemnet and run a coaxal cable from the receiver upstairs to the down stairs TV this way 2 people can watch and controll 2 diffirent Tvs at the same time. Now I need to replace the CRT with another HD LCD but I feel that it will not be worth it since the video will not be HD.
    Beside getting 2 different receivers, is there another receiver that will output HD for both TVs?
    Thanks

2. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    No, there is no current receiver that will output to 2 tvs in the manner that your 622 does now. That being said you can run HDMI to one tv and, component to another and output HD to both of them with your current receiver but the 2 tvs wil mirror each other.(they will both show the same channels at the same tme) Supposedly, E* is working on a receiver that will do this but it is not availble yet.

3. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    Nope. I believe the rationale behind that is that most tv's are far enough away that running HD cabling to them becomes prohibitively expensive, so it wasn't cost-effective to have the tv2 outputs be HD. (personal theory, I don't know that for fact). That's not to say there will never be one, but as of right now, there is not.

4. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    It is not good to run the HD signals or composite that far anyway.

5. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    The original E* HD receiver was the 6000. In order to get an HD output you had to install an HD module. The output of that HD module was an ATSC RF signal! An HD RF signal could easily be run over a longer cable.

If they could do it then, why can't they do it now?

6. andy8888

andy8888 AllStar

Mar 8, 2005
    Thanks guys for the clarificaion.
    If I need to add another receiver, dose that mean I need extra dish(s) or can they just use the existing ones?
    Thanks again

7. frodob9

frodob9 Cool Member

Sep 5, 2008
    DRM (Digital Rights Management) is the reason that it can't be done now.

8. frodob9

frodob9 Cool Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Why not? I have my 622 downstairs connected to a 61" DLP by HDMI and 25' component cable connecting to a 32" LCD upstairs. Everyting works perfectly for my needs.

9. frodob9

frodob9 Cool Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Both receivers will work off of the one dish.

10. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Since it is a 32" you probably don't notice the slight loss of resolution.

11. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Okay, except it was the 5000.

12. butters

butters AllStar

Sep 25, 2007
    I really wish they would add the ability to output HD on the second tuner. Why can't they at make this an option and let the customer figure out how to get HD to the second TV. There are practical ways to do this and I agree that DRM is one of the reasons this is not implemented.

13. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The reason is because the second a TV2 HD port appears on a receiver, every customer will INSIST that Dish hook up their 2nd TV that way, for free. I'm not exaggerating; Dish customers already want everything for free, and Dish has spent far too many years rewarding that behavior by doing so.

Customer - "You're telling me that I'm paying you for a 2-room HD receiver, but you won't hook up HD to the second TV? That's rediculous. Your ads say..."

Me - "Sir, your TV2 is on the far side of the house. We would either need to run an HDMI cable or 5 coax cables for component, with custom RCA connectors. It would take at least 120' of cable to get the signal there. An HDMI cable of that length *starts* at $200, and may not work at that distance, so you may need 2 cables and a repeater. Then there is the labor, and the fact that we have to drill 7/8" holes in the wall to get the cables through."

Customer - "You're not drilling big holes in my walls, and I better not see any cable when you're done!"

Me - "Sir, this is going to cost a minimum of $300, and could go as high as $500."

Customer - "I'm going to call Dish and MAKE them give this to me for free!"

Imagine this conversation happening 5,000+ times a day, every day. That's the reality.

14. butters

butters AllStar

Sep 25, 2007
    Yes, I understand that is what would likely happen but... They already have a potential solution using coax. What they need to do is allow the 2nd HD tuner to connect over coax like they did in the past OR allow those willing to install long runs with component or HDMI to do so at a higher expense or inconvenience.

This is the biggest reason I chose Dish over Direct. I save $10/month in receiver fees with 2 dual tuner boxes vs have 4 seperate receivers.

15. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    The first option is out due to DRM. Due to the cost, the second option probably would be used by very few people. Thus, it isn't cost-effective to have that second tuner have an HD output. Also, if you think about it, the amount more you would spend running HDMI or component that distance...would probably cancel any savings you would have had by not paying the additional outlet charge for the second tuner.