1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Is there any plan to increase the guide data for DOD entries?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by rkreitl, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rkreitl

rkreitl Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Aug 24, 2007
    We were looking for a movie to watch last night on DOD and noticed The Thomas Crown Affair. But from the limited description (no date and no actors) we couldn't tell if it was the Steve McQueen or Pierce Brosnan. Only way to tell was to start watching it. Ended up being the earlier version.

If DOD entries are not going to contain dates, actors, directors and such, searching for entries will be of reduced value.

2. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    When I want more detail I press the info button and it gives a much larger description of the program/movie (on VOD/DOD works same). The same thing you would do in the regular guide while checking out programming.

3. OldRick

OldRick AllStar

Oct 8, 2007
    I agree with rkreitl. Having come from a TiVo, I was very disappointed to note that one cannot find out any of the information that TiVo made available: Director, list of actors (not just one or two), Writer, date of film, etc. This also applies to the broadcast Guide Info, which is almost as miserly with the information..

It's pretty shabby to have the information available in the data stream (which it is, or TiVo couldn't show it), but not display it for those who want to look.

Thumbs down on another missing feature of the DTV DVR's.

4. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Oddly, the DOD version of finding the Thomas Crown Affair does not show the date or the actors but if you use Menu > Search for Shows for it and choose the VOD version, it shows the year (1968) and the stars.

Good catch, rkreitl!

5. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    The data for the HR20 is NOT in the stream. The Tivo data is different (and the Tivo enhanced data is owned by Tivo, I believe). They added the data for the HR20 some time back and it broke the DirecTivos. They are working on fixing that issue and have made some progress.

6. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Having additional info from the start would be very nice to have. I've seen many entries listed just as "series X episode 2" or something like that. Doesn't really give you any insight as to what it might be about when you're just browsing through the list of titles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.