1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there any way to request a SWM8

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by mashandhogan, Feb 14, 2011.

Tags:
  1. mashandhogan

mashandhogan Legend

Dec 21, 2010
    Is there a way to request a SWM8 instead of a SWMLNB for a movers?? Thanks
    I will probably get a local installer: Will they usually work with you?

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I like your sig.

I think you have to get one of the international dishes along with what you have to get a SWM8. Maybe you can add an international package then move? I bet someone knows.

3. mashandhogan

mashandhogan Legend

Dec 21, 2010
    Thanks
    Too much trouble. I guess I will just accept a SWMLNB or just try to talk the installer into installing a swm8

4. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Not sure about other installers but I don't even carry SWM 8 switches. We rarely ever use them.

5. leeliam

leeliam Mentor

Aug 2, 2010
    SWM 8s are inventory controlled also. I've got 2 on my truck right now but in order to install them It would have to be a weird install or on the work order. IE existing KA/KU dish on the roof in a hard spot to get to due to ice/snow/roof grade. Getting international programming is about the only way to guarantee it from a tech.

Why do you want a SWM 8? if you have legacy equipment and get MRV you might get one.

6. MrShowtime

MrShowtime Legend

Apr 8, 2009
    Have it show up on the work order one of the following ways:
    Order Cricket Ticket or some sort of international programing
    Have 9+ Tuners
    Legacy Equipment and MRV

Most installers don't carry them on the regular and as a service tech I carry 1 or 0 on a regular basis.

7. mashandhogan

mashandhogan Legend

Dec 21, 2010
    How about a SWM16?? When I call them to move should I deactivate the D10 before I call?? From What I read if I keep the d10 on my account it will generate a "legacy install." I CANNOT have a legacy install because there is only one line run to each room. Can a rep just put in in the notes "SWM8 requested??"

8. mashandhogan

mashandhogan Legend

Dec 21, 2010
    Also, would someone please answer this: I activate wholehome via my account online. Does D* think I have "supported" MRV at my current location?? Is there a specific department that I need to talk to (that's more knowlegable and willing than 1st line)

9. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Haven't we been over this a couple times already (in different threads?) You cannot request a SWM8 or SWM16; there are set circumstances in which they are used.

- If you activate the D10 and call for a mover's connect you will get a legacy install.

- If you activate the D10, call for a mover's connect, AND ask for a WHDVR install you will get a SWMLnb and the D10 will be swapped for a D12.

- If you do not activate the D10 you will get a SWMLnb

You can certainly request anything you want in the notes; you're just not going to get it...

10. prestone683

prestone683 Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Agreed. I don't think the warehouse here has them either. The only thing we do carry is SWM16's, but you have to get them the day of the request. You don't carry those around neither. I have never actually had to install one. lol

11. mashandhogan

mashandhogan Legend

Dec 21, 2010
    Ok, so the plan is now:
    Deactivate D-10 before move
    Call (and explain situation and hope they understand :))
    Install with: SWMLNB or SWM8 if kind enough:D
    Re-Activate D-10 (if with SWMLNB, using seperate 18in dish)

12. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    If you followed one of the procedures on DBSTalk to activate MRV in unsupported fashion then there is a different computer entry than if you ordered WHDVR through D*. In other words they COULD tell the difference.

With that being said, I have heard from one person that installed their own DECA and activated MRV (unsupported.) A DECA dongle died a year later and a tech replaced it during a service visit. The moral with MRV is; if it looks like D* installed it, they will probably service it. Just don't expect them to service any kind of ethernet setup...

13. mashandhogan

mashandhogan Legend

Dec 21, 2010
    nope.... I didn't follow the "unsupported steps" Just got into my account and BAM! added it.....quite happy that I didn't have to fight with a CSR :D

14. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
  15. mashandhogan

mashandhogan Legend

Dec 21, 2010
  16. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    It still won't be supported if you have an ethernet setup.

17. mashandhogan

mashandhogan Legend

Dec 21, 2010
    I know.....I have DECAs off fleabay ready for the move

18. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    i think u looking at it all the wrong way. no ones gonna just show up and install a SWM8 thats not on the work order. Knowing that I would leave the D10 active. Let them install a kaku LNB, let them run 4 lines down to a 6x8. let them do it all, then order a swm8 off ebay and its an easy swapout for you. or order the SWM8 now and pay the tech to hook it up for you

19. mashandhogan

mashandhogan Legend

Dec 21, 2010
    Again, I said, I CANNOT have a legacy setup....I am just sticking to using a seperate 18in dish (It will be with 2 other dishes, what's one more :D:D)

20. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I called in on the first couple days to turn on MRV unsupported. Their computer shows I have an old phase III dish, and they know darn well they didn't install it. I had a DECA flake out and I called and told the PP what was going on and they shipped me a replacement.

Either they don't care I am unsupported or the CSR turned it on wrong since it was the first day and they think I am supported.