1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there anything good to say......

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by thebrim, Apr 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebrim

thebrim Cool Member

Jan 19, 2006
    It seems that NO ONE is having a pleasant experience with there 622. It seems the forums are flooded with nothing but negative experiences. Well, I don't know if I should be pleased to announce that I just ordered mine today or not.

If anyone out there is having a positive experience with there 622, I and many other people that have been sitting on the fence since February would love to hear about it. Please share......:)

2. GeeWhiz1

GeeWhiz1 Legend

Dec 6, 2005
    I think you should poke around a bit more. There are plenty of us who have posted great experiences. I said as much about my 622 in about 3-4 different threads.

Here's a thread to get you started... http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=56101

3. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    :welcome_s thebrin

There are plenty of people enjoying their 622s. I personally have 2 and I am happy to have replaced my 921.

Here is people experiences comparing current to last version of software
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=55715

You need to remember this is a support area so the users here are discussing issues they are running into, talking about their experiences, and bringing up ideas of things they would like to see added.

As most support areas go, this is where you will see the problems people are having so of course it will be slanted to the negative.

I suggest you take a look at a few of the recent polls. The funny thing I have found about them is that the polls are very contradicting. One poll might look positive while the other looks rather negative.

To get a full picture you need to really wonder around and read a lot of the threads... After reading the main hot threads you should get a good understanding of the main issues with the 622.

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    It might help to think of these forums like a doctor's office. Many people come here looking for help because they are having a problem. Just like you or I go to the doctor when we feel sick.

When was the last time you scheduled an appointment to go tell the doctor how great you feel? :)

Similarly, online forums tend to reflect more negative than positive in many cases.

That said... I wouldn't say I've seen "floods" of complaints about the ViP622. I have seen a bunch, but honestly nowhere near as many as I saw with the 921 and 942.

5. wingnut1

wingnut1 Legend

Nov 10, 2005
    I for one am really enjoying my Vip622.

6. jmsteffen

jmsteffen Mentor

May 4, 2005
    me too... I replaced some older receivers and we've had several comments that the quality of the picture is much better... even on the SD channels.

Enjoy!

7. jcd4878

jcd4878 Cool Member

Feb 26, 2004
    I replaced my 921 with the 622 and have had the 622 for one week now and have nothing but good experiences with it. I am very happy with the increased menu speed and responsivness of the remote interface. No video glitches hicups no more. All my timers work and I even have name based recording. Lots of new HD channels. Excellent OTA tuner performance. Improved picture quality (must be a better scaler in this box). The modulated ouput works awesome with my home distribution network, it is so cool to use the DVR from upstairs with a normal analog TV and watch everything HD or not just by tuning to a channel. The list goes on... I am very happy I dumped the POS 921!

So far so good, no complaints. We'll see where we are at in a months time.

-Jerry

8. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    Those of us that aren't having any problems don't post.

As others have noted, if you look around you will find lots of good things that people have to say about the 622.

9. Rogueone

Rogueone Hall Of Fame

Jan 29, 2004
    add me to the very happy list. Only issue I've experienced is one it seemed everyone saw this past monday or tuesday, where the guide wasn't updating on it's own, and recordings didn't fire as a result. As soon as the you update the guide, the timers return, but for some of us, that meant a missed recording. Since it was the first time, I chalk that up as bad luck/timing. And whatever caused that seems it would be easy to fix since the box is suppose to update the guide nightly.

10. mscroggi

mscroggi AllStar

Jan 22, 2006
    A prominance of negative information is normal for these kinds of message boards. The reason many people ever find the boards at all is there is a problem of some kind and they are searching the internet for a way to fix it. The people who have had no problems or questions, never have a need to find the message boards at all.. I am speaking in general terms.. I check this board every day because I am anxious to see a post local HD channels in DFW are turned up..

I can say I got my 622 three days ago and so far I love it..

Some key features that I personnaly love about the 622:
    The menus are blazing fast.
    The 6.3 remotes have a very very long range.
    Both tuners have a separate modulated channel (which means I can watch either sat tuner anywhere in my house)

11. mscroggi

mscroggi AllStar

Jan 22, 2006

My brother has a 921 (a 622 is on order).. He had the same timer issue. It appears the problem isnt related to the particular receiver model. There was some information that possibly the problem was caused by some data streaming changes that could have confused some receivers if the timing was right..

12. Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    My 622 was installed on February 21, and I really have had no problems with it. There were a couple of times that I thought a timer hadn't fired, but when I checked, it wasn't a "new" episode, so it wasn't supposed to have recorded. It has NEVER missed a recording!

I am extremely happy with mine!!

13. dirtydan

dirtydan AllStar

Dec 15, 2004
    I will "ditto" Rogueone, I had my first failed recording this week, otherwise 622 is spot on.

14. David_Levin

David_Levin Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 22, 2002
    Two for me as well - they are working fine.

Must less grief then the two 921's they replaced.

I would like to add that these are complex boxes (as are most Hi-Def PVRs). The 622 provides a lot of options & flexability. I likes this, but it can be very confusing for people new to Hi-Def and PVR.

Why are my programs being cut off? Why are my timers not firing (pad conflicts)? Why is everything squished? How to I hook up a DVD recorder/VCR? These type of issues generally cannot be blamed on the 622.

15. dorsai78664

dorsai78664 Cool Member

Apr 17, 2006
    My 622 was installed and setup yesterday and so far, I have had very good experiences.

I have had an HDTV in the bedroom for a while for gaming mostly but about 6 weeks ago I bought a Sony 3LCD 50" for the living room. That was when I decided to upgrade. I already had a PVR so wanted to replace it with one.

After the techs had left, all of the cabinets were put back in place, and after I had finally had a chance to sit down and start poking around, I found myself very pleased. Right off the bat, the PQ for HDTV was simply incredible. The Discovery HD channel looked amazing and I happened to catch Herbie Hancock on RAVE (a live music channel). Both the sound and the picture left me with a very satisfying experience. But...of course...no surprise there. Then it was time to look a bit at the features.

I set up my box in Single mode so I'm using this box only on a single TV. I am using component connections and optical for audio. My TV does not have PiP so I started to look at the 622's PiP. In single mode, I was able to hit the PiP button and watch 2 channels at once. My receiver does not perform component video switching so video goes straight to the TV and the optical cable went to the receiver. Hitting the swap button let me swap audio and video between the 2 pictures. Yes! One set of cables is used for both tuners in Single mode. Since the PiP is performed using the HD tuner, the picture is still pretty darn amazing. Even without using PiP, Swap let me switch to another channel. This feature alone blew me away. Just playing around a bit more, I hit the pause button, Swap, and pause again. As advertised, you can use the PVR features for each tuner at the same time in Single mode. Being able to also record 2 shows while watching a recorded show will also be a big feature for me.

On the other features, I found the PiP for all menus to be a welcome change from my 510 and 501. Although it is kind of a small thing, being able to keep an eye and audio from the feed while setting options was very nice. The menu was easy to use and the Help button actually provided useful information. If nothing else, the Help menus are a huge leap forward.

The next big change I found for me was the feature of hitting the right button to get info on the current or other channels without going into the guide. With my previous boxes, I you could only see the current program and next program. With the 622 it appears I can go quite a bit into the future. When watching channels that have quite a few 30 min shows, this will be a useful feature for taking a peek at the next couple of hours. At this point, any buyers remorse ($299 to RENT a box...sheesh...) was fading. Then I started looking at the PVR features that had changed for me.

Another rather nice feature was being able to change the aspect ratio (somewhat) from the Dish remote. The box has a Zoom, Partial Zoom, Standard with gray bars, and Normal (your TV's settings) mode. HD channels with a 4:3 picture seem to normally have a background so that they fill your screen and alert you to the fact you are not watching a 16:9 video signal. Going from standard to HD and back was flawless. Even when using the Swap and Recall buttons.

Now this box is a lot closer to a service like Tivo than a VCR (unlike the 501 and 510). Since this was a new box, I started to set my timers and immediately noticed some differences. The ability to set the box to record only the current season's shows on a specific channel, all of the shows by that name on that channel, or the same options as before. Even the Dish Pass feature is something I will be using in the future. There is a lot more flexibility in how you set the timer, how you record, and what you record.

For performance, the box changes channels as quickly as my previous ones, and with the exception of only a few channels at certain times (and it could have been because of the weather blowing in), I got some macro blocking that quickly resolved itself. I found even some older movies like Bruce Lee's Game of Death (the Dragon in HD!) looked and sounded good and I even found myself watching Thunderbirds at one point. Even for recordings that are quite old, HD makes a huge difference.

Like many, the only downside I have seen so far is the lack of programming although that will improve over time. I now relish the day all or even most channels will be HD. The other downside (although expected) is that my remaining 510 won't downconvert the HD channels. I actually found some programs I would have liked to watch in the bedroom such as the Kung Fu channel, the live music channel, and various other things. Unfortunately, it will have to wait until I can find another 622 locally (I like a PVR in bedroom also).

Summary: Very nice guide, "nimble" response from remote in accessing features and channels, outstanding PQ and audio on HD channels, very robust PVR features in comparison to 510, HD PiP even on a non-PiP TV, and a whole lot of little small things (like moving that Dish button away from the DVR button) has made my first 24 hrs with the 622 a very pleasant experience.

If you already had the HD package and the other tuner, you might not have as good as experience as I. But for me, it was a huge leap forward seeing as how I went from an SD PVR to an HD PVR and all that that implies... I'm very pleased.

16. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
    Welcome dorsai78664 and thanks for the review of your 622.

17. TechnoCat

TechnoCat Legend

Sep 4, 2005
    I haven't written about my 622, which I've had for three weeks, because it's performed exactly as expected. My only gripe is that getting to my PVR'd shows required two presses of PVR, not one, because of the menu-item for "my movies." Other than that, it's great.

18. Rogueone

Rogueone Hall Of Fame

Jan 29, 2004
    dorsai, you do realize you could feed the 622's coax output to the bedroom, and watch anything on the 622 on the TV in there, right? (granted, via coax is in non HD). OR, you could run either RGB or HDMI from the 622 to the bedroom if that TV is HD, and when in the bedroom watch anything you wanted just like when in the TV room :)

19. dorsai78664

dorsai78664 Cool Member

Apr 17, 2006
    Hehe...baby steps... I routinely have a bad habit of sticking the whole enchilada in my mouth at the same time so I was taking it a step at a time. For example, the LCD in the bedroom led to a progressive scan DVD player and then some extended VGA cables and then my old PII in the corner and then an KVM so I could also use my notebook to... Well, you get the picture. My "geeky" weekend in the bedroom was fun but expensive.

I have just been reading up a bit on what you mentioned and I'm still a little on the fence. Having access to same my PVR programs is a huge plus. One of the problems I do have however is that my TV in the bedroom is one of the Westinghouse W37-L1 monitors. Monitor meaning that it doesn't have a built in tuner so a box of some kind will be required regardless. Although there are many coax to RCA boxes out there that would do the trick. I'm not quite ready to run a component cable or HDMI through the walls but I did toss that idea around a bit also. The main reason for not wanting too many modifications is that my home is essentially a starter home (1300 sq ft. 3 bedroom) but for a single guy, its been good to me for the last 10 years or so. However, like most homeowners, I'm still looking for that perfect lair. But...I might just be making excuses.

I also need to do some research to find out what (if any) changes in cabling would be required even if I did have a box in the bedroom. It wasn't until after the service order was set up (during that 4 week wait for the box to arrive) that I started looking more into what this box might be capable of doing. I hate to hijack someone else's thread but...

What would I actually need to view SD (as I do now) in the bedroom? Would a second cable have to be run from the living room back into my bedroom? Besides putting the box in dual mode, what other equiptment might I need (such as splitters or amplifiers, etc.)? I'm pretty unfamiliar with this whole aspect of satellite TV.

20. davidxlai

davidxlai AllStar

Jan 20, 2006
    My first 622 rebooted itself a few times a weeks. I sent it back. The replacement has been very good so far (two weeks).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.