1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there anywhere on DTV site to suggest enhancements?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by J Blow, May 17, 2011.

1. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    Another thread got me thinking about possible software enhancements and I was wondering if there was anywhere to suggest them.

My Sony receiver from about 1996 had a guide that was completely transparent while the picture stayed full screen behind the guide. Obviously that was in lieu of the picture in guide we have now. I much preferred the transparent guide with the ability to change the transparency. Ideally, it would be an option to have picture in guide or a transparent menu. If Sony could do it in 1996, it shouldn't be that hard.

2. employee3

employee3 Legend

Aug 15, 2006
    Not sure what receiver you currently have, but my HR HD-DVRs have Picture-in-guide.

3. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    Have they even made any that don't in the last decade?

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    If its for surfing the guide, next time you're watching tv, press the blue button.. :D

Also, I don't see this happening. PIG is preferred choice of Directv I think, and I like it as is now. And with the ipad ap, there really is no need for the transparent guide. I believe you will see the ipad ap show up on more platforms this year...

I also think you will always have a few more advanced capabilities on the ipad type aps here on out....

5. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    It's not a question of difficulty, it's a question of design decisions. DirecTV uses a Picture-In-Graphics approach. You're never going to see an option to do it the way you want.

6. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    PIG does not mean it won't be done. Fios DVR (the existing software, I don't have the new IMG yet) gives the choice of PIG or overlay.

7. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    That's not what I was trying to say.
    Yes, because they designed it that way. DirecTV didn't. It's possible the new HD GUI will allow the option, but I doubt it.

8. Hey_Hey

Hey_Hey AllStar

Aug 23, 2006
    I actually ended up with a transparent guide on my HR22 just the other day. I don't think it was meant to be that way, I guess I just hit a software glitch. The live TV picture was still full screen and a lot of the "blue stuff" was not there, just transparent. The times and show titles were still there, overlaid on the live TV picture. If it happens again I'll try to capture a picture of it.

9. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
  10. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
  11. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    Lots of lame and flimsy excuses here for why this couldn't happen. It could easily happen and it simply could be a choice in the setup. I much prefer this to anything else and others may too. I suspect it will happen in time but just need to get the word out to DTV....because they are ultra responsive. :D

12. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    No excuses. All you are hearing is that directv chose not to do it.

Personally, I don't want it. It was good when pig wasn't an option but why clutter up the screen.

13. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    DIRECTV has already gone through the "choosing" phase of this .. I could pass the suggestion directly to the people that would make the choice, but I know the answer without even doing that ..

Don't expect the transparent guide to find it's way into the DIRECTV receivers. Now, you might find it in TiVo whenever that comes out. But that is TiVo software and they'll do it the way they do it.

14. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yes .. it was a design decision .. Is it "easy?" Beats me, it's certainly easy to post that it's easy, but the actual work .. :shrug:

Oh, and "will it happen in time?" No way .. don't see it ever happening.

15. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    I can see now I've been too trusting of lots of unsubstantiated talk on this site. I got a personalized response from DirecTv that cited my years of commitment to the service and talked about this and another idea I submitted to them via an e-mail to general service. To my first idea they explained why it wouldn't happen on the current platform - tech talk I didn't get basically. The transparent guide request will happen according to them but it's a matter of time. It's unclear if this will be part of a software upgrade on current boxes or a new feature on a totally new setup. That part wasn't clear. All they said for sure is that it would happen in time.

16. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Can you share the email? I'm interested if it's the typical canned response.

17. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I've been know to have better information than some of the CSRs .. ;)

18. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    You have but so has the guy on the corner with the end of the world sign at times. :)

19. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I think we were just told off. ;)

20. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Don't be modest now. ;)