1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Is there dangerous voltage off DirecTV swm ports

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by cypherx, Jun 20, 2014.

1. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Just curious if theres dangerous voltage (not to humans, but to elecronics) on a DirecTV swm port.

For example, say you have a green labeled 8 way feeding 8 rooms, and a cable splitter feeding a few rooms. In a room with both feeds, if you accidently connect the coax jack from the DirecTV to a tuner, would it blow the tuner out?

Or is just the first, red port the only port able to pass voltage. I know I could break out the multimeter and measure myself, but I don't have that out right now.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    No, you won't damage anything do this. Only the "power passing" port passes the SWM power supply (typically 21-29V). And even that voltage won't hurt anything.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Basically the only way you can screw up is to connect the PI BACKWARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........ DBSTalk Club

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    But do be careful when connecting the coax. I have tapped the center connector on the outer shield once and blew a PI.
    No dangerous fire or anything. Just a quick spark and it was dead.

5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    If you connect a cable that is feeding power to the dish to a tuner you can damage the that tuner.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    BS, all receiver's inputs have Zener diodes to prevent OV

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    No they don't!!!!!!
    During testing a HR20 was literally "smoked" by a PI connected backwards.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    that's HR20 ... tell that its HW designers

9. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    I zapped a balun on a TV antenna by connecting the antenna lead to a PI. (not that I make many mistakes)

I suspect a PI output connected to quite a few items might cause a problem, modulators, RF amps, UHF/VHF combiner/splitters. I'm not going to finance research into this, the $1 balun was a severe enough hit for me.

:coffee

10. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Good information, thanks guys!

11. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    You're welcome!

12. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The HR20's designers are not the ones making false claims about their product.