1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Is there going to be a iPad specific Nomad App?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by RobertSeattle, Oct 19, 2011.

Tags:
  1. RobertSeattle

RobertSeattle Legend

Aug 27, 2006
    The current Nomad is an iPhone app with the corresponding resolution so I'm curious if there is going to me an iPad specific version.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Yes. We just don't know when.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    According to DIRECTV.com the answer is yes.

4. RobertSeattle

RobertSeattle Legend

Aug 27, 2006
    OK thanks. Hopefully the Nomad iPhone App will "migrate" nicely to the iPad version when it is released.

5. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I think you'll be pleased.

6. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    There won't be a difference in video playback resolution, if that's what you're anticipating.

7. techm8n

techm8n Godfather

Jan 3, 2008
    Anyone here Beta testing it yet?

8. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Would anyone tell you if they were?

9. Rtm

Rtm Godfather

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe not the video file encoded but it will use up 100% percent of the screen vs 75% the 2x iPhone app uses.

10. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    RTM, not sure what you mean by that. If you're not getting full-screen, tap the black button on the top right and it will expand the image.

11. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    The video currently takes up 100% of the screen on the ipad if you tell it to (it letterboxes and pillarboxes videos to display them correctly, but you can make it zoom in to fill the screen if you double tap).

The app itself runs at 2x, which does not take up the full screen, but as soon as you start to play a file it actually closes the Nomad app and opens the video file with the iPad Video app and uses it to play the file. When you stop the movie it closes the iPad video app and goes back to the Nomad app.

12. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Exactly. And doing so just 2x's the GUI, as Beerstalker explains below. The iOS player will display the video at the highest resolution and largest screen size the file permits.

13. techm8n

techm8n Godfather

Jan 3, 2008
    I guess not. :)

14. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    Pixel density on the iPhone is 326 pixels per inch (ppi) with 960x640 display. Pixel density on the iPad is 132 ppi with a 1024x768 display. The Nomad encoding format appears to be roughly 480P (720x480) or less than either display. So, of course, the number of pixels displayed on either device are the same. The iPad video playback will not change since there is no pixel averaging taking place. A native iPad app and the current app's playback mechanism will be identical (in other words, playback is not going through the 1x/2x conversion the iPad uses when running iPhone apps).

15. Rtm

Rtm Godfather

Oct 18, 2011
    Idk but 480p you tube videos take up all the pixels and when I double tap nomad player it doesn't fill the whole screen in just makes the picture fill the 2x iPhone app with blackboards on left and right.

16. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    If you are seeing that then I'm guessing it is most likely the original recording was either a standard def 4:3 picture, or windowboxed. What is the recording and what time/channel was it on?

I know all of my 16:9 HD recordings are slightly leterboxed (black bars top and bottom) when watching them normally (because the iPad does not have a 16:9 screen). If I double tap the screen the video player zooms in to make the screen fit vertically and it cuts off the sides of the picture. My iPhone works the same way.