1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Is this a good deal on NAS?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by SayWhat?, May 1, 2012.

1. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Far more storage than I need, but I wondered if any of you might be interested.

Amazon is showing a "Iomega StorCenter px4-300d Network Storage, 12TB 4-bay (4x3TB) 35101" for about $1,800 after discounts and a $100 e-coupon.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    Are you crazy ? :D Pay "about $1,800" for the box ?

[I'd experience with Iomega NAS - dual drive device; someone ask to help retrieve data; well both [Seagate] 1 TB drives was TOTALLY dead; Seagate didn't RMA because treat them as OEM and Iomega has short warranty less then for Seagate for drives, the NAS box become totally useles]

3. BrettStah

BrettStah Legend

Feb 7, 2003
    Not really... I did a little googling, and you can buy that NAS without hard drives from newegg.com, then add in four 3TB drives from newegg.com, for a total of 1289.95 (didn't check on shipping/taxes, however, so the total amount may be a bit higher).

For what it's worth, there are 5 user reviews of this NAS at newegg.com, and they aren't very good overall.

4. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Just the box? The way I read it, I thought it included the drives, but maybe not.

Oh well.

5. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    Sounds a bit like overkill for personal NAS..you could do a lot better with similar devices. Check the following link for Newegg.com NAS storage devices..it is listed by rating, so you can see the features and pricing.

http://tinyurl.com/7j8bwst

Good for serving up digital media, not always an option for recording/storing media from tv provider..

best of luck!

-=K=-

6. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
  7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    yeah, that $211 tag is more then enough for such NAS ...