1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a known issue?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by markrubi, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Oct 6, 2010 #1 of 27
    markrubi

markrubi Icon

Oct 12, 2006
    Playback failed. No audio/video data packets received from server?

Is the above a known issue being worked on? I am only getting the error on any shows recorded on my local CBS station.

Anyone else having the same problem where the error is for a specific channel?

I have some recordings from last season which play fine but newer CBS shows are not playing except for the dvr they are recorded on.

2. Oct 6, 2010 #2 of 27
    dhickman

dhickman AllStar

Apr 23, 2010

Same here. CBS also. I am in norman.

Here is the thread.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=184502

dhh

3. Oct 6, 2010 #3 of 27
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    FWIW: "Bolding" a post isn't going to get any more attention to it. :nono:

4. Oct 6, 2010 #4 of 27
    dhickman

dhickman AllStar

Apr 23, 2010
    It got my attention.

5. Oct 6, 2010 #5 of 27
    markrubi

markrubi Icon

Oct 12, 2006

6. Oct 6, 2010 #6 of 27
    Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    This is caused by a Failure of the DVR to Change the Channel and Properly Lock onto the Channel's Signal (it can be caused by Directv changing a Timing Parameter in a Table).

The DVR thinks it has Successfully Locked onto and Tuned to the Requested Channel for a Series Link but doesn't so it sets up a Shell but has no Audio or Video Packets in it so it is just an Empty Shell.

When you attempt to Playback the Recording/Empty Shell you will get the Error Message "Playback failed. No audio/video data packets received from server." because there are None to Transmit.

7. Oct 6, 2010 #7 of 27
    markrubi

markrubi Icon

Oct 12, 2006
    Basically all we can do it wait for stability and under the hood fixes? :lol:

8. Oct 6, 2010 #8 of 27
    Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    EXACTLY!!! :lol:

9. Oct 6, 2010 #9 of 27
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I don't think this is the case in this scenario, as the same program plays on the DVR it was recorded on. It's only MRV that fails, but not for all recorded programs.

To the OP, what is your setup? Unsupported MRV? If so is it wireless, wired etc.

10. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Then it is a case where the WHDVR is Taking Too Long to Transmit the A/V Packets so the Receiving DVR states that "No A/V Packets were received."

11. markrubi

markrubi Icon

Oct 12, 2006
    2 - HR 20
    1 - HR 24

No internet or router connected. Only using the Directv DECA modules on the HR20's.

12. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007

This cannot be the case because it plays fine from the DVR it was recorded on it just will not play from another room. I have had this problem at home and seen it in other homes but cannot find a link to why it does it. I have tried new splitters, cables, LNB's, IRD'S, isolated power supply to its on line, unhooked ICK (DECA @ router). No luck it still just sometimes happens and you can usually get it to play eventually just by keep hitting play.

13. Tisby

Tisby AllStar

Jun 4, 2010
    The fix that we're currently being told to do is to isolate the PI w/ a 2-way splitter... This is assuming that the PI is inline with the DVR that is failing to deliever the conent. Sometimes it works, other times it does not.

14. dhickman

dhickman AllStar

Apr 23, 2010
    I have tried both isolating the pi and having it inline.

The only consistent thing is that MRV fails when attempting to play content from any dvr in my house that was recorded on channel 9 - KWTV, CBS Oklahoma City. Sometimes (rarely) I can get the show to play if I repeatedly hit play.

The recorded shows will play fine on the local dvr.

The person who started this thread is having the same problem as me on the same exact channel/feed.

15. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    i dont think it has anything to do with the channel it has happened on mine on some cartoon channels my kid recorded in his room.

16. Tisby

Tisby AllStar

Jun 4, 2010
    Well, the next "official" step is to bring the job up to code. Ground block outside, 3GHz wire, all barrels blue, approved connectors, etc. and when it still doesn't work... Submit a FPR (Field Problem Report) and tell the customer to cross their fingers but not hold their breath.

17. dhickman

dhickman AllStar

Apr 23, 2010

Mine a new install not even 2 weeks old. It is up to code with the correct connectors etc. I find it interesting that this problem only shows its self on one specific channel, across multiple dvrs, is repeatable, and more than one person is experiencing this issue with the same channel.

I have a neighbor who is upgrading to MRV tomorrow with a couple month old install. He saw my setup and thought it is cool. I am willing to bet that he will have the same issue as me.

dhh

18. E91

E91 Godfather

Oct 7, 2008
    I had this problem too. The fix was to configure both of my HR24s with static IP addresses outside the range of the DHCP assigned addresses on my router.

I think this is a product of DECA not playing nicely with internet connections, even when you are connected to a router using ICK.

19. dhickman

dhickman AllStar

Apr 23, 2010

I have went to static ips and the problem still shows up for the channel in question. I also removed the black deca and terminated the connection and the problem repeats. I even went as far and to disable DECA and hooked the receivers/dvr to my gigabit network and the problem still showed itself.

Me thinks there is a software issue, or an issue with the spot feed for KWTV. My suspicions will be confirmed tomorrow if my neighbor has the same issues with a new mrv/ick install.

dhh

20. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I get that message every once in a while, I just try again and the second time it always works.