1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IS this a TV "quality" issue or an HDMI cable issue

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Xsabresx, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    I prefer to have Native "on" on all of my receivers. If I have Native set to "on" with the Vizio (in my sig) and change channels on the H24 I lose video if the resolution changes.

According to the Vizio site:

Native Panel Resolution: 1366 x 768
    Signal Compatibility: 480i (SDTV), 480P (EDTV), 720P (HDTV), 1080i (HDTV)

Interestingly, that seems to indicate that the tv isnt 1080p compatible, but if I choose it on the H24 it shows that it is.

I end up keeping Native "off" and only 720p selected and dont have a problem.

So the question is; is it the TV or a bad HDMI cable. I am more curious than anything especially since my mom bought a Phillips 55" and initially had it connected (Time Warner) with component cables and ran into the same problem until she switched to HDMI.

2. MarkG21

MarkG21 AllStar

Jan 3, 2010
    Are you losing video temporally when switching channels (when switching resolutions)? If so, then that is normal.

I'm not quite sure if that is what your asking though.

3. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    No the video goes out completely and stays out. Audio remains though.

BTW I know that the end result is to leave native off and I just keep the resolution on the H24 set to 720p, but I am curious as to why it does that.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I too have a Vizio 32", with the same native resolution panel.
    I see "no reason" for it to be given a "native" signal, like my Sony gets.
    Sending it 1080 means it has to scale it down to fit the screen. Scaling and de-interlacing is better done by the receiver as it has access to vector data that the Vizio doesn't.
    My Sony does all the scaling because it does it better. My Vizio was 1/6th of the price of my Sony, and shows it. :lol:

5. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    Well that was kind of where I was going with "tv quality issue".

My LG and Sony do the scaling themselves too. The Vizio is a bedroom tv so it was more curiosity than anything.

6. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    It could be the TV doesn't do any scaling down from 1080 so when you change to a channel that broadcasts in 1080i it just goes black because it's out of the range of the TV. Much like changing a computer monitor to a resolution that isn't supported.

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    It could be, but isn't, or sure isn't with my Vizio.

8. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    Well, the only way to tell for sure is to start testing it. Try a different hdmi cable and that will tell you. Most likely it is mostly an issue with the TV but these types of HDMI compatibility issues can be extremely fickle and a different hdmi cable might help.

9. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    This is most likely an HDMI handshake issue. When the resolution changes it has to do a new handshake and for some reason the handshake isn't going thgough correctly so you lose the video. I'm willing to bet if you were to change the TV to a different input and then back it will start working again.