1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Is this equipment list correct for upgrade?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by richk, Jun 27, 2014.

1. richk

richk New Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Hi: I currently have three HD DVRs (2 H23 and 1 H24), with a dish having a built-in multiswitch and a single wire going out, connected to a 4-way splitter under the house. I want to replace one of the H23 receivers with a Genie. Is this what I need to do?

1) Replace the LNB on my dish with an SL3 LNB
    2) Run 3 additional cables (plus the one I have) from the dish to an SWM 16 multiswitch
    (3 cables for the 3 satellite feeds plus one for ?????)
    3) Replace my existing power inserter with a 29V model
    4) Hook the two SWM 16 to 2 splitters (1 going to genie, 1 going to the 2 others.

Thank you in advance

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    They'll deal with it, whatever it needs to be to insure that you get acceptable SWiM and DECA performance.

Unless the current splitter configuration fails testing (that it has already passed with your current configuration), it won't likely be changed.

Unless you expect LOS issues, I wouldn't go out of my way to campaign for a 3 slot LNB; I'd ask for the 5 slot unit.

3. richk

richk New Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Thanks. Why is the 5-slot better?

4. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I don't know about better but it is different. It doesn't see the 119° satellite. There are a couple of channels including a dozen or so music stations that are only on that satellite and you wouldn't be able to receive them.

If you do a search you'll find several threads on the subject. Some don't think it's a big deal while others don't care that much.

Here's a thread to read.

http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/210282-119-sat/page-2?hl=%2Bsl3+%2B119#entry3224200

Mike

5. richk

richk New Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Thanks. It probably doesn't matter to me. I have always had the 3-LNB setup before and haven't noticed a problem

6. b52pooh

b52pooh Cool Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    It would only matter in the case of which satellite provides your standard def locals. If they are from the 119, so is your guide data. The wrong dish can cause problems like 920 error, To Be Announced showing up in the guide, etc.