1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this really acceptable?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Herdfan, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    My parents were getting some 771 issues, so I checked their signals levels and found the 99(c) and 103(c) were in the 50's. So I called D* for them and a tech was scheduled for today.

He came out and when he left, the signal levels on the 99 and 103 were lower than before he got there.

The tech said they were the best he could get them.:(

A supervisor is coming out tomorrow.

Edit: Sorry the pics are upside down. Took them with my phone.

Attached Files:

2. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Everything is upside down. ;)

Those levels are bad. A handful of things could be the cause.
    Bad weather at the time of alignment/picture.
    Tech not following procedure and/or poor training.
    Bad LNB
    Warped reflector
    Trees

3. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Clear and Sunny, but cold (upper 30's)
    Dish is Slimline 5, but signal levels at their house have never been what mine are. I hit the 90's and I pointed my dish myself.
    Trees are not an issue. Feed arm clears trees across street and sat looks higher anyway.

As for the tech, no idea. Company is Skylink.

4. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    Could also be the switch. Is the dish connected to the receivers or to a switch first?

5. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    WB68.

Feeds HR22, R22, R16 and a DirecTivo.

You may be on to something as the DirecTivo has had signals issues in the past, but the levels on the Ku sats have always been good.

I may go down to their house tomorrow before the tech and see what I get without the switch in place.

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Unacceptable. Try bypassing the multiswitch and connect the dish output directly to one of their HD DVRs. See if that makes a difference.

7. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Possibly a BBC problem?

8. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Brand new ones on the R22. Came from DirecTV last week. Possible, but not likely.

I am going to go take the MS out of the system in the morning and see what happens.

9. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Bypassed the MS on my way to work this morning. No change.

Parents called, tech was there so I talked to him. This one understood those signals were not acceptable, so he is going to replace the LNB and repoint.

10. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Tech came and replaced the LNB and repointed the dish. Then told my parents that their signals on his meter were better than what the receiver showed.

Not sure what it shows, but I will find out in the next day or so.

11. 2dogz

2dogz Godfather

Jun 14, 2008
    Boy, getting deep around here. WHO CARES what his meter says. What the receiver sees is all that matters.

12. eandras

eandras Godfather

Feb 15, 2007
    A tech said that was all he could get when they reinstalled my system would pass IVR. The IVR rep would not let the tech get a waiver and even went as far a informing them the procedure for aligning the dish. They also gave them troubleshooting techniques to do so that they could get the system to be at the high levels. The only problem I saw with my techs was laziness.

13. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Signals are better, but still in the 50's and 60's. The truth will bear out tonight and tomorrow with this snow storm coming in.

If they keep signal, then they should be OK.

If not, I will take pictures of the signals levels, get their ticket numbers from D* and send an email to Ellen.

14. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    50's & 60's still suck.

While you can equate a good signal on the tech meter to a good signal at the box, they are not a direct relation. If it shows 80 at the dish, it doesn't mean you'll see 80 at the meter.

Something else is affecting the signal levels. Possibly a damaged reflector. Someone needs to look it over top to bottom.