1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this right information re: Whole Home DVR service?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Deftones, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Deftones

Deftones Legend

Sep 6, 2006
    I ordered an HR34 this week, which is being installed on Thursday. I decided at that time I did not want the whole home DVR service. I've since changed my mind and called to add that to my installation. The CSR just now told me that all the equipment installed on Thursday will allow me to have whole home DVR service, and the only thing I need to do is call to activate. I did not get that impression when I spoke to retention when I ordered the HR34 as I understood it was 2 different installations. I'm confused. Any help would be appreciated.

2. bigtom

bigtom Legend

Jan 23, 2009
    What other equipment models do you have? Do you know if you have a SWM or getting one with the install?

3. Deftones

Deftones Legend

Sep 6, 2006
    Sorry, I should've posted this information with my initial post.

I have 4 other receivers (3 HR21s (100, 200 and 700) and 1 HR20-100). I do have SWM installed.

4. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    Your job is going to be a big one.
    First off adding an HR34 will put you over 8 tuners , so you are going to need a SWM16 Multiswitch installed. To do that that need to change your LNB to a KAKU3 LNB and run 3 more lines from the dish to where the SWM16 needs to be installed (4 total). then you will have the capabilty to have 16 tuners on a SWM system. That gets your HR34 up and running.
    Next to add whole home service you are going to need receiver decas installed on each of your current receivers. also take note that your HR20-100 requires special configurations for whole home. a splitter a bandstop filter and a receiver deca need to be added to that.
    I would let the tech know on arrival you want the whole home service and was told it would all be able to work when he leaves, so he does the work to your other receivers.