1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Is TV Japan SD ending in March 31, 2013?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by CaliforniaGold, Aug 11, 2012.

1. CaliforniaGold

CaliforniaGold New Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Received a letter today from TV Japan about upgrading my SD receiver to HD to get the new TV Japan HD.
    I found this June 6, 2012 letter on-line and I'd like you're take on it:
    Here's an excerpt:

"""Pursuant to the TV JAPAN Affiliation Agreement with your company, NHK Cosmomedia America, Inc. (“NCMA”) wishes to give notice of NCMA’s plan to change the transmission of TV JAPAN to an all HD format. This format change will result in a new satellite transponder, new satellite transmission parameters and new IRDs. This transmission change will begin October 1, 2012 (testing to begin September 1, 2012), with an overlap period with the existing SD signal to continue until March 31, 2013."""

Can't post links yet but here's the PDF document name: TVJAPAN-HD_transition_Letter_Form1_060612 if you want to google it.

2. MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 18, 2011
    Hi, I did check the channel here at DISH. No announcement has been made yet about any changes to this channel at this time. There maybe an update available later in the year.

3. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    HD can be downconverted to SD so even if NHK stopped the SD feed DISH can still downconvert the HD feed.

4. CaliforniaGold

Aug 11, 2012
    I have the cheapest SD Dish receiver. Will it convert the HD sat signal to SD for me?
    I'm wondering if an TV Japan HD only signal would require me to upgrade my Dish receiver to an HD model?
    BTW - thanks for the quick responses.

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH currently broadcasts both the SD and HD feeds of TV Japan from the 118 orbital location. It looks like that source PDF is referring to TVJ's feed to DISH (and other carriers) ... not your feed from DISH.

NASA TV went through a similar change, dropping their SD channel and transmitting in HD only. DISH receives the HD feed and down converts it on their system. DISH may be doing that now for TVJ. There are a lot of "SD" channels on DISH that are simply letterboxed or cropped versions of the HD feeds.

The conversion is done by DISH at their uplink center ... no new receiver needed in the home.

6. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    No your SD receiver can't downconvert a HD signal it can't even see it, but DISH can downconvert it and send it too you just like they are doing now.

7. CaliforniaGold

Aug 11, 2012
    I understand now - thank you all for the quick, accurate, responses.

8. Willh

Willh Legend

Jan 1, 2009
    same could be said for the ESPN network of Channels that aren't in HD on Dish, as in ESPNews and ESPN U.

9. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Exactly, the Comcast Sports RSN's do the same.
    No compelling reason for the programmers to eat up (more) bandwidth to send up SD copies of their HD feeds; just let the affiliates downconvert it at their headends. Matter of fact, their are models of the satellite receivers programmers provide their affiliates, that simultaneously provide an HD AND (downconverted) SD output.
    1 (HD) feed only + 1 sat receiver only for EVERY affiliate = cost savings to the programmers.