1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iSedora

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by DCSholtis, Jul 31, 2010.

1. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Discovered another application for Mac users to use with D* Media Share called iSedora. The demo is good for an hour after which it's $25 for a license but the good thing about this is that it does transcoding on the fly. I'm not sure about DRM music from iTunes but I doubt it will do that however.

http://www.isedora.com/

2. Aug 1, 2010 #2 of 14
    bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I installed isedora and it looks like it should be pretty capable and is very configurable. The 1 hour trial isn't much (I found out the hard way that it counts whenever it is running, even if it isn't serving any content :( ).

I registered for $25 and tried playing some videos. It transcoded the video fine, but there was no audio. Music and photos were handled fine (some photos which my HR24-500 won't display using EyeConnect worked with iSedora). The aspect ratio issues I have on the HR24 with EyeConnect weren't there either with iSedora. These two issues only occur with my HR24, not the H24 or HR21.

I also tried it with my Samsung Blu-ray player. iSedora recognized the player, but the player did not see iSedora :confused:

I also tried iSedora with my H24-100 and the same videos play WITH audio :confused:. However, while I was listening to some music and watching pictures it suddenly switched back to satellite TV and no longer appears under the Media Share menu (stopping and restarting the server restored it).

3. Aug 1, 2010 #3 of 14
    DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    I had some videos that would not transcode for me either so I went to the media informer tab, one by one dragging the files over which sends them a report and within a few hours they emailed me back with a response and are now working with me on my issues. They were .avi files. Basically they've asked if only these 2 are problematic and asking how other video formats such as MKV are transcoded.

4. Aug 1, 2010 #4 of 14
    bobnielsen

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I sent them an email with the issues I have seen (not including the HR24 issues, which are more likely a Directv problem). I'll report back if I hear anything.

5. Aug 1, 2010 #5 of 14
    DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    I've emailed them back as well and will also report back.

6. Aug 2, 2010 #6 of 14
    bobnielsen

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I heard back and they figured (correctly) that the reason for the dropouts and why the Samsung Blu-ray player couldn't see iSedora was that there was another server (EyeConnect) using the same port. Turning the other server off fixed the issue.

It now works fine on my H24 and the Samsung player. The HR24 issues are still there but that is a Directv problem (there are different issues with my HR24 and EyeConnect or Tversity).

7. Aug 2, 2010 #7 of 14
    DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Heard from them as well they sent me a copy of 1.4.4 to try. I'm using it on my HR20-100. The music portion works great now to get the movies side going. Using it on the PS3 also works great.

8. Aug 2, 2010 #8 of 14
    bobnielsen

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I noticed that their web site has a new version, 1.6.1. I installed it today but haven't tried it yet.

9. bobnielsen

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    There is now a version 1.6.3 and the license periods for free upgrades has doubled (1 year for $25 starter, 2 years for $49 personal). iSedora is now my server of choice.

10. bobnielsen

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    They just released version 1.6.8. The icon has been moved from the dock to the menu bar on top (Mac version). There have also been several small technical improvements with each new version.

11. bobnielsen

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Version 1.7.0 has been released and it lets you assign alias names to your folders (nice feature).

I have noticed a change in versions 1.6.8 and 1.7.0. When You select iSedora then Video in the sidebar menu, you do not see the contents in the main pane of the men, only a list of subfolders in the sidebar. Individual files in the same folder are not displayed. Selecting a subfolder gives a list of contents in the main menu, so any files in the first level of menu must be placed in a subfolder in order to be accessed. I have reported this anomaly to iSedora.

12. gopherhockey

gopherhockey AllStar

Mar 23, 2003
    Has anyone actually gotten this to work with a DirecTV receiver using video and sound?

I have a ton of .mkv files and they all work (video) but give me the prompt that no audio is available, so its worthless.

I'm starting to think its the DirecTV receiver, not the software on the other end.

Most of my files report as such:

FileData {
    extension: mkv
    size: 3.3 GB
    formatShort: matroska,webm
    formatLong: matroska,webm
    formatMatch: MATROSKA
    profile: MKV_ALL_HD
    duration: 0:58:06
    bitRate: 8.1 Mbit/s
    makeThumb: true
    MetaData {
    title: Breaking Bad - Season 1 Episode 1
    }
    Audio 0 {
    codec: AC3
    bitRate: 384 kbit/s
    channels: 6
    timeBase: 1/1000
    sampleRate: 48000
    valid: true
    language: eng
    MetaData {
    title: English
    }
    }
    Subtitle 1 {
    codec: SUBTITLES
    bitRate: 0.0 bit/s
    MetaData {
    title: English
    }
    }
    Video 2 {
    codec: H264
    bitRate: 7.71 Mbit/s
    resolution: 1280x720
    frameRate: 24000/1001
    aspect: 16/9
    MetaData {
    }
    }
    }

BTW: I have one .mp4 file that does work, the rest do not. Its reported as:

extension: mp4
    size: 2.7 GB
    formatShort: mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2
    formatLong: mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2
    formatMatch: MP4
    profile: XBX_MP4_X264
    duration: 1:46:39
    bitRate: 3.68 Mbit/s
    makeThumb: true
    MetaData {
    major_brand: mp42
    minor_version: 0
    compatible_brands: isommp42
    }
    Audio 0 {
    codec: AAC
    codecString: mp4a
    bitRate: 128 kbit/s
    channels: 2
    timeBase: 1/48000
    sampleRate: 48000
    MetaData {
    }
    }
    Video 1 {
    codec: H264
    codecString: avc1
    bitRate: 3.55 Mbit/s
    resolution: 1280x720
    frameRate: 30/1
    aspect: 16/9
    timeBase: 1/30000
    MetaData {
    }
    }

13. scgoan

scgoan New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Okay, I feel pretty ignorant here. I have a Directv HR24 and a 64 bit Mac running 10.6.4. I downloaded the trial version of iSedora to stream pictures. So I see iSedora and the folders Video, Music and Photo. If I click on Photo, I can see iPhoto[11]. If I click on iPhoto[11], I see 11 folders of my photos. Then I can click on one of the folders and I can see all of the image files. The problem is that if I click on Play All, Shuffle All or on an individual file, nothing happens. The files don't open or play at all. What am I doing wrong? I attempted to move some files to my public folder and that didn't work. I also tried moving some image files to a folder on my desktop and made sure that it was a shared folder. That didn't seem to work either.

14. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    completely bombed out on my MAC. I'll need to spend a little more time (another day) looking over things and see if I can figure out what went wrong.