1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ISS to visibly streak across SoCal sky early tomorrow

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by trdrjeff, Jan 29, 2013.

1. trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
    The International Space Station will pass high above Los Angeles on the morning of Wednesday, January 30th. The giant satellite, outshining everything then in the sky except the moon, is scheduled to cross the sky from the northwest to the southeast between 5:58 and 6:04 a.m., P.S.T. It reaches is highest point 69 degrees above the southwest horizon at 6:01 a.m. For updated information closer to the time of the passage, or for satellite visibility from other locations, check the Heavens-Above website.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'm holding out for comet ISON. But it is cool to look at something and know there are people up there. It was really cool seeing the shuttle.

If someone can't see it tomorrow, good news is it's not rare, though looks like this is one of the brighter passes.

3. trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
    Yep, a much brighter one that normal. I'm in downtown with lots of buildings and lights, it came over our building and I thought it was a plane at first, extremely bright when dead overhead. Amazing.

4. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    A good pass of the ISS is impressive. Another feature of Heavens-above is the Iridium Flares . . . basically the sun reflecting on the satellite panels and casting a beam on the ground as it passes overhead.

From the ground it looks like a barely visible satellite, then becomes a headlight in the sky, then back to a barely visible satellite when you are in the proper place to see it. HA provides the prediction for your location, when to look, where to look.

It's fun to be at a party, standing on the deck at early dusk (there are also sunrise passes) and get everyone to watch an area of the sky and there's the flare!!