1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issues Receiving B-Band converters from Directv...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Chuck W, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Sep 9, 2010 #1 of 18
    Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Has anyone recently had B-Band converters sent to you from Directv?

When I activated a new HR24, I needed the B-Band Converters. So I called Directv, they said they would send out 2. So the guys gives me an order number and 2 days later I receive ONE envelope. That envelope contained ONE B-Band converter. In looking at the envelope, the original label(which was mangled) was retaped onto a new envelope with a Fedex relabel notificaion sticker as well. SO it was repackaged.

I called Directv asking if I should have gotten 2 or one in the envelope. They said one and gave me the tracking number of the other package. Fedex said they never received that package from Directv, only the billing info. So I call Directv and they agree to send me 2 MORE(since they can't send only one).

So... 2 days later, the Fedex guys shows up with ONE envelope which is torn OPEN(torn at the top like you would normally open an envelope) already and it contains ONE B-Band converter. He asks me to inspect the contents and I see one converter and that is all I needed at that point so I accepted. I NEVER received a second envelope with the other B-Band converter. I never called Fedex but the tracking shows billing ifo received but nothing more(same as the prior one that Fedex claims they never received).

So in summary, Directv sent me 4 converters and I received only 2, with BOTH coming in damaged/opened envelopes. I don't know what is going on but it almost seems like someone may be stealing the converters.

Anyone have this happen. I ask because it happened twice to me, with both times being almost identical in what happened.

2. Sep 9, 2010 #2 of 18
    Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    If they want them that bad I have six I no longer need...

3. Sep 9, 2010 #3 of 18
    evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    I can't imagine why anyone would be stealing them. The only place they can be used, is on a directv receiver and obviously directv will send em to ya for free so they really have no resale value but it is definitely odd to have gotten 2 apparently opened packages in a row.

4. Sep 9, 2010 #4 of 18
    gfrang

gfrang Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    A couple weeks ago i ordered two and got two i think your problem is with Fedex.

5. Sep 9, 2010 #5 of 18
    NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan Legend

Apr 23, 2010
    Don't know what a B-Band converter is but definitely five finger discounting going on at Fedex. Personally I wouldn't have accepted any opened packages unless the contents list in the still-sealed plastic pocket proves it wasn't tampered with and was just torn open by the sorting machine.

I once bought a dvd online and it was supposed to be shipped cross-country by US Postal Service. It never arrived and the company I bought it from apparently couldn't track it. A few months later a letter comes from the postal service saying there was a problem with a machine at the originating post office in Oregon and the enclosed shipping label was found behind the machine. The shipping label didn't have a lick of glue or tape residue on it and looked like it had never even been attached to any package. Was very fishy to me.

I wouldn't be surprised if FedEx has thieves working for them. I know a guy who was fired from the local UPS distribution center after his daughter was caught activating a cell phone he had stolen from a package that was reported by the recipient as not delivered. UPS takes thieves very seriously and goes to great lengths to stop them. I think the state police and local AG were even involved in the case.

6. Sep 9, 2010 #6 of 18
    kiknwing

kiknwing Godfather

Jun 24, 2009
    Ogden, UT
    A week ago I ordered a hd-dvr. When the box came it was obvious that it had been opened. When I opened it the box was full of blank check paper. Called directv and the csr was surprised (never heard that one before). Two days later I got a replacement. In the end though I would still rather get a package from FedEx then USPS. My mail man treats packages like ace ventura does.

7. Sep 9, 2010 #7 of 18
    n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I always keep a few extras on hand as I've found ones go bad and can easily swap in new ones. Waiting until you need them is a bad idea. I'd order a few each year just to have on hand.

I would guess the issue is with FedEX. Can you get tracking numbers from D*?

8. Sep 9, 2010 #8 of 18
    dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I've had 8 for several years, never had one go bad. If anybody wants them, PM me.

Or I've found stopping a DTV truck and a tip gets you a couple.

9. Sep 9, 2010 #9 of 18
    CliffV

CliffV Legend

Jan 24, 2006
    When I got my HR-24, I ordered B-Band Converters on the DirecTv website. The order page said they might take 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. They never arrived.

However, since I thought they might take more than a month to arrive, I bought a pair on E-bay. Those arrived in 3 days.

10. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Cause you can get like $12 for them on ebay, because for some reason people pay money for them. :shrug:

The website doesn't work for ordering BBCs.

See evan? A simple phone call and they are free, and there in only 2 days. :lol:

11. CliffV

CliffV Legend

Jan 24, 2006
    Dang. I should have read more here before buying.:)

12. sunfire9us

sunfire9us Godfather

Feb 15, 2009
    2 days???? You must be lucky then. I recently bought a H24 receiver that didn't even come with any B band converters. When I was talking to DTV they told me they would send me one. It never came. I ended up having to pay $9 at a store (who also installs DTV dishes etc) I got tired of waiting and it turned out it was a good thing I bought one since the one DTV was supposed to send me never showed up

13. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Huh. All the times I have ordered them, they are there in 2 days.

14. dminches

dminches Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    I order 2 3 weeks ago and they haven't arrived.

15. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yes, I got the tracking numbers. Directv sent them in 2 different envelopes so 2 different packages the first time. I got one, in an obviously repackaged envelope, but never received the 2nd. When I gave Fedex the tacking number, they said they never received the package from Directv, only the billing info. The 2nd time was almost identical, but instead of receiving one in a repakaged envelope, it was in the original envelop, but opened.

When I initially called( I had gotten an HR24 and needed them), the lady activated my HR24 and said she would send out the BBC's... I waited over a week and nothing. When I called back, the person said there was no record of any BBC's being ordered, so he ordered me 2 and this time gave me the ORDER # right then and there. For the tracking number, I called back the next day.

So if you haven't received them yet, verify that they were even sent.

16. NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan Legend

Apr 23, 2010
    What exactly is a B-Band Converter? I know it has something to do with HD and you connect them to both of the inputs on the back of the box. I know they were a requirement for the HR20 boxes when HD was first introduced but why would an HR24 or H24 need them?

17. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    Ok, there SHOULDN'T be a market for them. =)

18. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    It takes a little bit of an explanation but really isn't that complicated. First a table to help it make sense

[​IMG]

Looking at the output IF frequencies, this is basically the frequencies of the signals coming down the cable from the LNB to the receiver. The H/HR 20, 21,22 and 24 can not directly tune the Ka-Lo frequencies at 250-750. It is outside of the range of the tuners. The now discontinued H/HR23 is the only receiver that can tune those frequencies directly and never needs a bbc. The bbc gets around this by taking the Ka-lo and shifting it up to the place of the Ka-Hi and blocking the Ka-Hi signal when the bcc gets a signal from the receiver. So everything but a H/HR23 switches back and forth between Ka-Lo and Ka-Hi at the 1650-2150 MHz range depending on if the BBC is on or off. Since D10 and D11 are both in Ka Lo you don't get most of the HD channels (local and national) with out a BBC hooked up but the new channels from D12 and the locals from the Spaceway sats are in Ka-Hi and can actually be tuned to with out the BBC.

Now, the obvious next question is why did they add them to the H/HR23 and then stop making them and not include them in the H/HR24. The simple answer is that they don't need them on a SWiM system and they are moving towards everything being SWiM. Because SWiM works differently there is nothing in the Ka-Lo area that the H/HR 20,21,22,24 can't tune to so they don't need a BBC on a SWiM system. Why spend money on a more expensive tuner to remove the need for a BBC if that is only an issue on legacy setups that you are moving away from anyway?