1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It is software...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by veryoldschool, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 3, 2007 #1 of 111
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    If I'm in the wrong place.... but I put it here for looking at.
    Everyone should know by now I'm a "hardware guy", but I've got a software problem.
    My current box is developing a pattern... of screwing up on Friday night's Leno.
    I record Numbers, Vegas & Law & Order. I'm usually: watching/recording CBS, recording NBC. After Numbers I go into the play list & cycle through the other two. This takes me into the time for Leno. Last night I watched the record light come on @ 11:35 as normal.
    This is a "normal" Friday night, & [normal again] I woke up later & went back to wherever I last remember and replay the show. Last on my "replay list" is Leno. Again last night was the "Un-watchable" Leno. Friday night Leno has failed for the last two weeks. It has failed before too. Fridays seems to be the most frequent [only time? almost].
    As for what I did: I tried a couple of times to play "Leno" with no luck. It was after 1:30 so I went into the guide to find something to watch [good luck @ this time of night] and selected IFC [SD]. The channel banner filled half of the screen, with no program. Back into the guide & it moved around & then selected IFC again, same. Hit the "off" button [TV & HR-20]. Powered it back up. Same thing, but now nothing responded. Moved sleeping cat off lap & RBR. Cat wants RBR moved to remote.
    I've had a similar issue this week on boot, strange frozen video & unresponsive remote.
    Last night looked just like some old Microsoft where once you "jump the track" you chase it down to the inevitable system "lock" requiring a "hard reset".
    New box is due Monday afternoon [not that this will fix this].
    Friday's recordings aren't much different than Monday's, Tuesday's, or Thursday's, except Leno doesn't record. FWIW

2. Feb 3, 2007 #2 of 111
    dallascontractor

dallascontractor DBSTalk Club Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Try a reboot this has fixed a lot of recorded show that went black and not play

3. Feb 3, 2007 #3 of 111
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    This is the one where it doesn't record the program. I went into the play list & had 99% free with a 2 hour SD recording & a supposedly 1:30 hour HD [MPEG_4]. Yeah sure I've got 99% free...
    RBR cleared the Leno recording, because it wasn't recorded. This is the "failure mode", the Damn thing doesn't record [when it feels like it] though it goes through the motions & lists it in the play list.

4. Feb 3, 2007 #4 of 111
    dallascontractor

dallascontractor DBSTalk Club Member

Jan 9, 2007
    If you do not have many shows do a reformat and see if it clears these issues.

5. Feb 3, 2007 #5 of 111
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Been there, done that.
    This is a software issue.
    I have a new [I mean NEW] box [#4] coming Monday. So I can then watch the same thing with it [since it's software], just like my old box still waiting to be returned.

6. Feb 3, 2007 #6 of 111
    lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    Could you problem be outside the box. Long cables. Is there anything going on in your neighborhood on fridays which may be causing some interference.

Im not sure what the odds are that 3 boxes would do the same thing on friday night.

Im also a hardware guy. I believe that many problems are hardware related. To many getting the same problems no matter the software version. I think that there are boxes out here that will never work the right way.

I got 4 BSB when I first got my HR20. I dont have OTA. I put one of those caps that came with the miltiswitch to protect the inputs on the OTA input on the HR20 and have not had a BSB since. Every thing has worked as it should since 10b.

7. Feb 3, 2007 #7 of 111
    jmschnur

jmschnur Icon

Aug 30, 2006
    Friday night only and regular sounds like and external interfence of some sort.

Are there events in your neighborhood that use power/rf.
    Does a mircowave go on in that time period etc...

Do you have a UBS on your system?

8. Feb 3, 2007 #8 of 111
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    All good thoughts but...
    I'm so far up in the mountain, in a little valley, that there is no interference & not too many neighbors for that matter.
    I also watched the record light come on last night as Leno started, before I fell asleep, so if there would have been some power interruption, I would have had a partial recording at least, and everything was still on when I woke up. The blue ring was still on the dim setting [until the RBR].
    Cables are good, dish is alingned is great, I have a multi-switch, but have never seen any time that it doesn't tune to a channel.
    Starting to see why I'm saying it's....software.

9. Feb 3, 2007 #9 of 111
    lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    Just does not seem possible that the same thing happens on 3 different STBs and you being the only one that has reported this problem. Sounds like an external problem.

10. Feb 3, 2007 #10 of 111
    Garand762

Garand762 AllStar

Sep 27, 2006
    I had the same issue with NCIS and Vegas back in October, I deleted the series links and then started over setting a new one for each and it took care of the problems. I have not had any further issues like that.

I don't know if you tried that or not but it worked for me.

11. Feb 3, 2007 #11 of 111
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm not the only one. This is the "un-watchable" bug. The video comes out of the tuner [I've even watched it "live"] but doesn't get recorded. When I go to the play list, the program is there. I select play. The "time line" is correctly displayed, but no video. I can press any FF, RR, ship forward or backward...nothing. I can exit & come back, but the same thing. The box [at these times] still responds to remote commands. If I reset the box, the program disappears from the play list because it [the recording] wasn't really there.
    If this wasn't happening since Nov. when I got my first HR-20, I wouldn't really have a problem, since except for a reboot or two, it works. I just can never count on it to record what I want. Well, it's been good since last Friday's Leno, & then it did it again for last night's Leno. It just doesn't like [or think I should watch] Leno. Maybe I should watch Letterman. :lol:

12. Feb 3, 2007 #12 of 111
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Been there, done that...
    I did a reset "everything" not very long ago.

Good thoughts, please keep them coming....there just might be something I haven't tried, or done [yet]. :D

13. Feb 3, 2007 #13 of 111
    armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    You only have the one for recording, but can you go to another receiver during that period to see if the show is viewable during the time box #1 is recording?

14. Feb 3, 2007 #14 of 111
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    This is how bad it can be: I can have two recording going & using the guide switch between them [live] but still not have one of them record anything.
    Last night I had both tuners recording and they worked. Then I was watching the recordings when it came time for Leno to start. I saw the record light come on as it should. Later [after my "nap"] I replayed the recordings I missed & went to watch Leno [my last one] when it was an "un-watchable". Everything looked like it recorded, but it only showed a blank screen with the time line below. Showed in my play list, but didn't take up any space on the drive. RBR cleared it from the play list since it wasn't ever on the drive.
    I would say weird, but this is becoming very normal for me & the last two or three boxes.

15. Feb 3, 2007 #15 of 111
    armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    And this is on an OTA channel? I don't receive any OTA's so I need to ask, do you also get the choice of a satallite HD option when you get a non-sat HD affiliate?

16. Feb 3, 2007 #16 of 111
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    These were SAT local HD. My OTA is too spotty to count on to record.

17. Feb 3, 2007 #17 of 111
    armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I would love to help recreate the scenario, but of all the shows, I couldn't stand to watch any of the shows except Law&Order.
    I do know that I get some pixelation on my recordings that I think line up with times I am pausing, channel changing, or skipping ahead on the other tuner. I can't prove they are 100% related, but I am still not sold on the underlying software developed for this box. I am wondering if we are going to get nothing more than nip and tuck of this base load, or if they are really working on a better solution closer to the H10's base program.

18. Feb 5, 2007 #18 of 111
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    They're supposed to be bring out a new box this afternoon.
    If it shows up, I think I'll try to activate two boxes.
    I didn't think I needed two, but since I can't get one to work as it should for a month, I wonder what would happen with two? If they both screwup at the same time then it would have to be something in my system. If they screwup randomly then who knows...

19. Feb 5, 2007 #19 of 111
    HolmesCo

HolmesCo Icon

Dec 4, 2006
    Just a quick fyi, you are not the only one to have reported friday night leno problems. I have not noticed it myself, but definitely read it in a thread over the weekend. Some guy just mentioning,,,all I want is for it to record Leno on friday nights, etc etc.
    Not sure who it was, but fairly sure it wasn't you, or was it? In any event, I think locals+hr20=erratic problems.

20. Feb 5, 2007 #20 of 111
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I've been reading the posts & I think it might have been me. The only other posting was someone in my area thinking of changing from E* to D*, but his wife records Leno. I think it was a question between getting MLB or his wife's Leno.
    Anyway I'm going to push to have "twin" boxes with the same series links. One will be what I use & the other [backup] will be "just sitting there" recording with little to no remote inputs. What I would use for the "backup" has proven it will "miss" Leno when ever it feels like it [& why it's off line for a month]. I can be testing the new one through all of my "normal" usage & if it fails, I can check the backup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.