1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It was 40 years ago today Earth Day came to stay.

Discussion in 'The OT' started by BubblePuppy, Apr 22, 2010.

1. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
  2. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Forty years ago I was reading Paul Ehrlich's The Population Bomb.

Soon, I helped found a volunteer recycling center for my home town. By the next year, my senior year in high school, I was running the place.

3. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    Great book, I think it started the Zero Population Growth movement. Pity the movement didn't catch on, might have curtailed the over-breeders.

4. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Yes, a very influential book, which was both dead wrong and spot on. Ehrlich got a lot of deserved grief in the 1980's & 90's. He had predicted over-population riots and maybe wars that not only didn't happen, they were never even in the cards. He was wrong and eventually, he admitted it. He was right in that his basic tenant, that human population will increase until there is a crash because of famine, war or disease, is practically dogma.

Even at the time, some of Ehrlich's doom and gloom scenarios seemed over the top to me. And he may still be wrong. Worldwide, the birthrate is dropping. We still may defuse the population bomb.