1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Itching to upgrade to MRV and all.....

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by tkrandall, May 13, 2010.

1. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    All this rollout of the H24s and HR24s and MRV with DECA and SWM installations has me wanting to upgrade badly......

But I only have one HDTV set (HR20) with two other regular perfectly functional SD TVS hooked to DirecTIVOs. Traditional SL3 LNB and WB68 switch.

To upgrade I would need to "throw out" the functional DirecTIVOs and the SD TVs and replace them with new (25 inch and 37 inch) TVs and new HD receivers/DVRs if I go with a MRV and SWM LNB setup.

If money just were no object..... :rolleyes:

2. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    You can hook up HD receivers/DVRs to standard def TVs and start using MRV now. You will be able to set them to either letterbox or crop the HD channels to fit your old TVs.

3. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    tkrandall - Don't fear it - I'm an ex-HR10-250 lover. Swapped them out (paid $999 each for them) for HR20's and haven't looked back. Plus, you'll get SOOOO much more HD!

Go for it :)

4. Draconis

Draconis DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 16, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    $999 ??? :eek2:

5. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    For the HR10-250s when they became available. I also bought one at that time.

6. Garry

Garry Legend

Jul 4, 2006
    I currently have two HD Dvrs, two HD receivers and one D10 receiver that my roommate uses.

Am I correct that in order to get MRV, I would need to replace the D10 with a
    HD receiver?

Also, would this also avoid the need to have two cables connected to the DVR to use both tuners?

Unfortunately, I recently bought an DVR at the $99 price, so there's no deal on the website for a new HD receiver.

Is there anything else I would need?

Thanks.

7. patg25

patg25 AllStar

Nov 12, 2006
    I have one of those "enhanced" definition TV, better than SD but not HD. It has component inputs. I bought it when HDTVs were still very expensive. If I get an HD receiver for this TV and MRV, would I be able to access the HD recorded shows stored on the main DVR? I guess the TV would down convert the picture, but will the receivers allow access? They shouldn't care how they are connected, right?

8. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    HDMI / DVI HDCP may apply to some content

9. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    If you went with the MRV/DECA upgrade for $99 + $49, the D10 would get swapped for a D12 with a one year commitment.
    Of course you wouldn't have MRV with it, but it will work with the SWiM that comes with the upgrade.

10. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    I would need the SWM/DECA installation, i.e. roll a truck. But I thought I had read DirecTV did not allow HD receivers to be hooked by installers to non HD sets. I suppose I could get the receivers from SS first, hook them up myself, and then do the SWM/DECA upgrade?

11. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I don't think that was ever a DirecTV rule. It seems that it may have been a rule put into effect by some of the installer companies to avoid callbacks from people replacing their TVs and not knowing how to hook them up themselves.

I think now that MRV is going national and people are signing up for it, it shouldn't be a problem to get HD receivers hooked up to SD TVs because that is the only way to get the MRV content on them.

12. Garry

Garry Legend

Jul 4, 2006
    Thanks for your reply.

I might have to have my dish re-aligned. I have the protection plan.

Could I schedule both the re-alignment and the MRV/DECA/SWM install tgether and perhaps even save some money?

13. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    the PP really won't come into play.
    The dish would get the LNB swapped to SWiM, and get aligned as part of the MRV/DECA.