1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Its all in the pole......

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Sartori, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Sartori

Sartori Legend

Nov 15, 2008
    Hello

Thought you guys might get a kick out of the pole I used to mount the new dish too. It was originally used for the big C-band dish. The pole is 3/8" well casing and is filled up inside with cement also.

The bracket on the top is a 2"shaft welded to 1/4" plate. I trued each end of the shaft on the lathe and used a machinist level to get the shaft nice and plumb using shims underneath the plate which is bolted to the original C-band dish bracket.

All the cables are inside a conduit going to the house.....

It doesn't move much:)

Attached Files:

2. firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr Legend

Sep 17, 2008
    Clever, whatever works for ya:hurah:

3. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Sure it's strong enough? :lol:

4. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    dont run into it with your lawnmower.............:lol:

5. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007

I use those whenever I can. Their original installation just about doomed the project. What was it, about a ton of concrete that was required for the pole
    base? They were a major investment but as they got bypassed by higher powered satellites and smaller dishes they generated a small army of pissed off C band users. There would never have been enough cheap concrete and pipe to expand satellite TV to the numbers DTV & Dish have generated.

I never tried machining the pole......good one!

The underground cable is usually pretty good and eventually gets to the main TV. The old C banders don't have to rip out their baby!

Joe

6. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    over engineered, over built, way over cool

7. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Nice. No rodent issues with that exposed wire ?

8. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Sure is a sturdy looking mount. Man, I forgot what winter looks like, rather bleak:)

9. Sartori

Sartori Legend

Nov 15, 2008
    Apparently you didn't notice the German Shepard in the background:)

10. Sartori

Sartori Legend

Nov 15, 2008
  11. stringray13

stringray13 Cool Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Great, now EVERYONE is gonna want em on telephone poles ;)

12. jhillestad

jhillestad Godfather

Jan 13, 2007
    Ahhhh the good ol days of C band....

Shawn Kenny's Greensheet and piss on the VCII ads

Gary B's Friday Night Live from Marquette Mi

Satellite Stan selling polor rotors

Wild feeds

In the clear ku band football games

I never regretted buying the big ugly dish - was worth every penny!

13. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    TRUE!

My Elks Lodge had one on a trailer for years. They dragged it up to the building when the lodge was open. The rig sat in the woods for years......sold for scrap I think.

At the time it was a world beater! Gradually I started meeting folks who couldn't find parts for their dish or the guy who used to fix it stopped answering his phone........Know that those things re tuned to different satellites when you changed channels!

I kid about the new customers who don't understand how "that little dish" is going to track a satellite up in the sky. There is a whole generation out there that still just doesn't get it. And I have to call my son in college for technical advise.

So it goes!

Joe

14. Sartori

Sartori Legend

Nov 15, 2008
    Yes, you should have seen us(the family) when we first fired up that dish and tuned in hbo for the first time. There was dead silence with all of our jaws dropped, because of the fantastic picture.

Me and my dad built the dish system ourselves out of an old army radar dish, was alot of fun. The date on the pad was 1982.....

We had to go out to the dish with a signal meter and crank it to the different satellites by hand. Damn Playboy channel was all to way to the east, or was it west.....:)

15. terron

terron AllStar

Oct 11, 2008
    So you did a mini P&A cement job with the casing? lol

16. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Looks like you've got a perfectly good tower in the back yard. Great place for a dish!

17. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Pictures, we like pictures here. :grin:

Nice install, looks solid.

Yup, C-Band, I liked how you were able to subscribe to whatever channels you want, and didn't have to wait for them to "add" channels like we have to do now with the different providers. Makes you wonder if we should go back to that, get rid of the middle man, just get the feeds directly from the programmers. lol

18. Yellow-06-GT

Yellow-06-GT Cool Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Is that an armature radio tower I see in the background too? ;)

19. Sartori

Sartori Legend

Nov 15, 2008
    Yes, my folks were Hams for years, I never really caught the bug.....

Heres a couple of scanned pics of us tipping the tower up. Dad built the tower and it telescopes out to around 100 feet....

Attached Files:

• scan.jpg
      scan.jpg
      File size:
      627.4 KB
      Views:
  20. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Sartori,
    A few years ago the local HAMs sponsored a radio camp out for the Boy Scout Troop. A good time was had by all as they contacted other HAMsall over the world at different times over the week end. While having a conversation with Scouts in India something went wrong with the transmission........so they swapped cell phone numbers and called each other later in the tents.

The kids thought it was supposed to work that way and were patient during the antenna demonstrations.

Joe