1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's been a year since my install @#@#$@ mounted on Flat Roof

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by chefwong, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Jun 3, 2009 #1 of 23
    chefwong

chefwong Legend

Jan 25, 2008
    It's been a year since my install. I have a flat roof....and I thought the installers installed in the *side* of the roof which is STONE/BRICK.

Turns out they mounted it right on my flat roof....holes and caulk and all. This is @#$#@@# as this will be prone to leaks. Do I have any recourse on calling DTV to have it mounted properly ont he brick bearing it's been so long or not ?

2. Jun 3, 2009 #2 of 23
    turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007

You should call DirecTV and ask nicely for a relocate. A relocate will get your dish moved from the roof to the side (if the tech can get LOS on the side). They might charge you 49 dollars for the relocate but try to see if you can get that wavied. Maybe you can or maybe you can't, really depends on if the agent goes with policy or works around that.

If after the move the roof starts to leak, call them to open a damage claim ticket. You will need to take picture, get an estimate, and some other things and mail them in to the damage claim department.

I hope this helps or is accurate information. I know someone else will have another solution if mine doesnt work.

3. Jun 3, 2009 #3 of 23
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Since it's been a year, you'd have to pay to have it moved. And generally the tech will leave the old mast foot where it is, and put a new one up at the new dish location, because the new tech isn't going to take responsibility for the old dish location. Satellite installers don't have anything more then RTV silicone to seal holes, and that's probably not the best solution for your roof.

4. Jun 3, 2009 #4 of 23
    Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I might suggest finding a good local installer at this point and having them do it, as well as properly resealing the holes on the roof.

Yes, you will have to pay a bit out of pocket, but at least it will be done right hopefully and can prevent major headaches in the future.

5. Jun 3, 2009 #5 of 23
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If its been a year already and you don't have any leaks, chances are quite good it was installed properly and any leaks you develop on your flat roof would not have anything to do with the dish mount. A mount into stone/brick is not a standard install and the tech would need to use special bits and maybe a more power drill to boot and there would/should have been an additional charge at install time if you wanted it done that way. Am I missing something or did it really take you a year to figure out it was mounted on the flat roof?

6. Jun 3, 2009 #6 of 23
    Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    After one year any damage claim expert is going to deny any claim.

It's not standard. Dang, that a few hundred installs I could have charged for custom work. DANG.:lol:

7. Jun 3, 2009 #7 of 23
    murry27409

murry27409 Member

Oct 16, 2007

I experienced an issue with a cinder block install. The dish was secured to the wall with plastic anchors. A few weeks later I noticed that it was beginning to pull away from the wall. Emergency repair!! I replaced all of the plastic anchors with tapcom screws. No issues since then (~9/07).

8. Jun 3, 2009 #8 of 23
    Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Yeah, any tech using plastic anchors is an idiot.

Tapcon is actually not D* approved either, but then so aren't redheads and 90% of techs use those.

I use 1 1/2 redheads [ no guys 1" ones won't do the job ] or 1/2 lag shields with 2" lag bolts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Jun 3, 2009 #9 of 23
    chefwong

chefwong Legend

Jan 25, 2008
    I see PLENTY of masts installed into the brickwork out here in NYC.

And I don't crawl onto of the roof unless I need to...which just so happened today.
    Logic would dicatate --- flat roof, water pitch runoff , if not snow that sits on a flat roof, etc, you're doing a customer a disservice to install on a flat roof. . In my case, we now have a rubber EPDM flat roof that now has a WEAK POINT - screw holes in the 3 post legs.

A hole is a hole.....I would have easily taken a hammer drill and done it correctly instead of PUNCTURING the roof....

10. firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr Legend

Sep 17, 2008

What about the tech who proudly secures the dish with zip ties to cast iron railing on the front porch?? :lol:

11. MarkN

MarkN Legend

Jul 13, 2007
    like the old saying goes, if you want it done right you have to do it yourself!!

12. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    We all know that ground wire works way better for that.

13. adrock13

adrock13 Mentor

May 27, 2009
    why don't you request a non penetrating flat roof mount and put cinder blocks on it??? no holes no anchors no problem....just a little extra money.

14. turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    That's a good idea...I think its like 65 dollars.

15. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    And 20 calls, 3 reschedules and a bunch of frustration :D

16. chefwong

chefwong Legend

Jan 25, 2008
    I would have if I need they were not ~compentent~ enough to realize that that penetration would not be a good idea for the roof. When I spoke to them while they were installing, if which I was not their *shadow*, we had discussed and confirmed it would be installed adjacent to where my previous older DirectTV sat dish was installed....which WAS installed on the brick.

I'm currently determining the best course of option. Tar is not the best application even when I remove the lags as Tar cracks over time.

17. adrock13

adrock13 Mentor

May 27, 2009
    yeah tech shouldv'e realized as soon as he/she pulled up to the house that a roof mount was not an option. that was the first thing i would think about when arriving at a customer's home - house type, material i.e. brick, stucco, etc., and what type of roof i.e. shake, steel, etc.

18. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    Could have used a non penetrating roof mount, looks kinda like a sled and you use masonary blocks for balas, not standard is an extra cost, but the installer should have told you that up front when they saw your roof....

19. hobie346

hobie346 Icon

Feb 23, 2007
    What about the tech that trys to mount a multi-switch to a stuco wall using the nail of a single cable clamp? Granted the switch is not going far but hanging half loose in the breeze is not what I would call a quality job. Then I find that the ground lead from the dish to the switch is connected but the down lead to the grounding rod is not even connected but hanging loose.

20. chefwong

chefwong Legend

Jan 25, 2008
    We had discusse mouting. I already had a older DirectTV sat/on the roof on the brickside of the *roof*. I assumed that he had installed just as we had discussed which was to mount on the same brickside ---- just adjacent to the old one.

What's done is done----but am I peeved that there are penetrations on the roof. There is a specific procedure on how to repair holes in a EPDM roof.