1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

It's time for Directv to dump active and gamelounge

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mkdtv21, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Dec 7, 2012 #1 of 17
    mkdtv21

mkdtv21 Legend

May 27, 2007
    Directv active was an invention by Newscorp when Directv was under their ownership to copy interactive services like on Sky uk. Times have changed and internet connected services are what replaced that. Directv hasn't changed or revamped active in years and probably never will. It is really slow and the only useful thing about it is getting lottery results and local weather. Gamelounge is also useless because it is very slow and the games are too primitive. Directv should now focus everything on internet connectivity. They should create a full fledged app store similar to whats on Boxee or Roku and not just like their current widget like apps now. They have already done it a little bit with things like Pandora and Youtube but could expand much bigger. Gamelounge would be so much better if it loaded the games from the internet and not from the one way communication satellite. Gamelounge should also be subscription free with ads in my opinion. It would get many more people to use it. Otherwise they should get rid of it.

Please express your opinions and maybe Directv will listen.

2. Dec 7, 2012 #2 of 17
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Not every receiver supports the internet and not everyone has their receivers connected to the Internet.
    Those things take memory and storage which is why only the HR's have Pandora, You Tube and Video on Demand.
    Considering that it is a subscription service, if not enough people were subscribing to it and using it, they would have killed it by now.

3. Dec 7, 2012 #3 of 17
    joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I agree that "Active" is useless and could go. I never use "Game Lounge" so I can't give an opinion on that.

4. Dec 7, 2012 #4 of 17
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    +1

5. Dec 7, 2012 #5 of 17
    Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I never use Active or GameLounge as I feel it slows down my DVRs and I get all my info from the Internet on my PC so why bother if it slows down the performance of my DVR. :)

6. Dec 7, 2012 #6 of 17
    JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    The only thing Active does is make me curse the day I was born when I accidentally tune it in and have to fight forever on these dog slow DVRs to get out of it.

Never been in game lounge, may as well not exist for me.

7. Dec 7, 2012 #7 of 17
    tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Doesn't active include the score guide and the red button interfaces for the NFL and special events like Wimbledon as well as the selection systems for mix channels?

Or are you specifically talking about channel 1?

8. Dec 7, 2012 #8 of 17
    wahooq

wahooq DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    getting rid of game lounge would cause a major uprising..there are TONS of people that use it along with the active channel...to each his/her own

9. Dec 9, 2012 #9 of 17
    wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Dump them both, and lose Media Center (in beta for what, 8 years now) too

10. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Active content: this is the weather and lottery results. S L O W. Easier to look it up on cell phone or computer. But, not everyone has those items.

Games: so slow as to be unplayable. Worthless. But, as pointed out, its a subscription service so I guess it makes money. I used to know a guy who was a Chevy dealer and he said they would always just order Corvettes with "every option box checked" which included lots of high profit low cost worthless stuff, because the typical Corvette buyer would just want "every option". Games are probably the same. High rollers who just get "everything available". After all these games cost DirecTV nothing to offer.

Red button content: I actually like the red button content. It works fast and is helpful, although the sports listed and the nature of the listings could change.

11. flybynyte

flybynyte Cool Member

Aug 8, 2012
    +2

12. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    I use those things so little, I forget they're there. If you don't like them, just don't use them, simple as that. It's no skin off my nose if they stay.

13. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    +1......Some fail to understand the logic.

14. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    My only problem with Active is with the location of the button on the remote. It's right between two buttons I use a lot - List and Guide. I agree with JeffBowser. The only time I even notice Active is when I accidently activate it. Then it sucks.

15. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    :lol:There still there?

16. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    but what is the long term plan with Gamelounge when directv moves off of the old mpeg 2 hardware?

Kill it?

Update for the newer boxes?

17. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    God forbid you turn to channel 1. Freezes my DVRs for about a minute.