1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's time to open up NFL Sunday Ticket to everyone?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jtn, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 31, 2007 #1 of 341
    jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
  2. Oct 31, 2007 #2 of 341
    Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Good luck...the NFL went with DirecTV because of its limited reach so as not to upset the major networks who were/are paying huge dollars for their Sunday broadcast rights.
    The next round of negotiations should be interesting. You never know there may be a new satellite provider entering the game.

3. Oct 31, 2007 #3 of 341
    jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    It's interesting the World Series was open to all, but not football. I enjoy football and don't have Sunday Ticket, but I can still get some games via NESN, ESPN or local affiliates when Patriots play at home.

I was able to watch most of the Red Sox games on NESN HD too without buying any sports packages per se. Same with Patriots games. It seems if it's a team in your region, you don't need the sports pack if that is the team you want to watch.

Not just in sports, I think all HBO Comedy and other HBO channels, Showtime has other channels, etc should be available to all regardless of who they subscribe with, the company would make more by having more subscriptions. Except of course the company that is monopolizing it would lose some viewership.

4. Oct 31, 2007 #4 of 341
    HDhysteria

HDhysteria Cool Member

Sep 16, 2007
    I don't understand the comparison. The world series is open to all, the Super bowl is open to all.

5. Oct 31, 2007 #5 of 341
    jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    That's true, however if you live in the region of your favorite team you get the games mostly from local affiliates for free, and or regional sports networks like NESN, ESPN without needing sports packs.

6. Oct 31, 2007 #6 of 341
    Ken984

Ken984 Active Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Bossier...
    Who can't get HBO or Showtime?
    We will see how much the others are willing to pay because the NFL goes with the highest bidder(and they HAVE to be able to deliver nationally), and that leaves E* and D*(I guess InDemand could bid and make it available to ALL cable systems, but that still won't have the extra reach that DBS does), E* will not step up, the NFL just isn't compelling enough for Charlie to open his purse that wide.

7. Oct 31, 2007 #7 of 341
    jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    Let me clarify, Some carriers are not allowed to carry HBO Comedy etc. One company should not monopolize a channel and say only for themselves. DirecTV can't get HBO Comedy now because cable companies have monopolized it.

8. Oct 31, 2007 #8 of 341
    davemayo

davemayo Hall Of Fame

Nov 17, 2005
    I've never understood the uproar about ST only being on D*. Why can't the NFL choose which carrier it wants to contract with? If some consumers can't get D* (and consequently ST) because of LOS, etc., then that's the NFL's lost viewers/revenue. Their choice.

Of course, the NFL whining about NFLN is not helping their image....:nono2:

9. Oct 31, 2007 #9 of 341
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    On the flip side....

The NFL could just END Sunday Ticket all together, and go back to you just getting the games you see on your local affiliates.

It's the NFL's property... and they are well within their rights to distribute it however they want.

If they choose to accept a BILLION dollar contrat from DirecTV (which is probably what the 2011 renewal is going to be).... that is their choice.

10. Oct 31, 2007 #10 of 341
    Ken984

Ken984 Active Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Bossier...
    Where did you get that info from?
    It is my understanding that HBO Comedy isn't on D* because D* has never signed up for it, it is not exclusive to anyone else. The only truly exclusive channels I am aware of are Mojo and Comcast Sportsnet Philly. Mojo is available but its obvious that cable(Comcast, TW) have made the contract price way too high for anyone else to be interested(it is tied to the number of DIGITAL customers on a system, which makes it very expensive for either D* or E* since ALL customers are digital), CSN Philly is not available due to the loophole in the law regarding its delivery system.

11. Oct 31, 2007 #11 of 341
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Since D* pays the NFL a set fee for NFL ST, they (the NFL) lose nothing if D* can't sell enough ST subs to cover the fee. Also, one of the reasons that ST is o n D* in the first place is because the NFL wants to limit access to it as to not annoy the networks. There are about 1.6 million NFL ST subs, which works out to just break even for D*.

12. Oct 31, 2007 #12 of 341
    Wrister17

Wrister17 AllStar

Jul 23, 2007
    Maybe I misunderstood, but NO Patriots games are broadcast on NESN. NFL is only shown on CBS/ESPN/FOX/NBC.

13. Oct 31, 2007 #13 of 341
    davemayo

davemayo Hall Of Fame

Nov 17, 2005
    My point exactly, Earl. Well said.

14. Oct 31, 2007 #14 of 341
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    A BILLION dollar contract would be REALLY bad news for those of us that subscribe to ST. Since the number of ST subs is inherently limited by the number of D* subs, that much of an increase in the fee from D* to the NFL would yield a sustantial increase in the cost to the consumer. That increase, would, in turn, reduce the subscriber set further, pushing the cost up again.......vicious circle. There is noy way that D* can pay that and have ST continue for very long. That, I feel, would be the beginning of the end of NFL ST.

15. Oct 31, 2007 #15 of 341
    JDubbs413

JDubbs413 Icon

Sep 4, 2007
    It will be very tough for cable providers to get enough bandwidth just broadcast the SD channels. Forget the HD channels if you have cable.

16. Oct 31, 2007 #16 of 341
    davemayo

davemayo Hall Of Fame

Nov 17, 2005
    You are right. This has to do with the affiliates being able to sell local advertising during NFL games. If you are in Seattle, watching the Dolphins game, local Miami adversting during that game is of no interest to you, and therefore of little interest to those buying the advertising.

17. Oct 31, 2007 #17 of 341
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Cable needs to put up or shut up. Last renewal Comcast and their like told the NFL to go pound sand because they didn't want to pay. Then they cry like babies that "big bad DirecTV has exclusive and NFL is a bully". Bull S***. They can easily have Sunday Ticket and not DirecTV if they wanted it.

18. Oct 31, 2007 #18 of 341
    Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Earl,

That's true, but the NFL also has an antitrust exemption and the goodwill that buys them new stadiums in many markets to protect.
    That exemption is what allows them to negotiate those TV contracts...rather than having each team do their own deal locally like they do in MLB.

BTW, at what point does the NFL price Sunday Ticket out of reach for its fans? We're getting close to $350 with the HD package. Will fans go $500?

19. Oct 31, 2007 #19 of 341
    davemayo

davemayo Hall Of Fame

Nov 17, 2005
    With Congress supposedly showing some interest in this issue, it will be real interesting come renewal time.

20. Oct 31, 2007 #20 of 341
    paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Let us not forget the value of ST in attracting and retaining subscribers.

I don't know the math, but ST is worth a lot more than simply the amount paid per subscriber. How many times have you seen "I'd switch providers if not for ST..."

It could very well be that all, or most, of the increase in cost to D* could be offset by that advantage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.