1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's Topeka on 105............

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by JohnH, Mar 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Not available, yet. Channels 7391-7397.

2. homeskillet

homeskillet Icon

Feb 3, 2004
    Topeka locals will be great, but will still miss many channels. Maybe if they change the SHIVA this year, channels missing in your local DMA could be picked up from the next DMA.

Wish Mode On:

Topeka offers locals CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, ABC but does not have a full-time UPN affiliate (avail. via Kansas City) and a Cable-Only WB affiliate (WB is also available in KC). Also, Lawrence, KS just minutes down the road has a full-power station that isn't network affiliated, but is the home of 14 Royals Baseball games. (Already on DISH in KC Locals pack)

Just my wish :)

Now, as soon as these are turned over to the Customer Service people, I would love to get my call in ASAP to get my SuperDISH install scheduled.

3. TonyM

TonyM Banned User

Aug 14, 2003
    At the rate SD installs are going (and how long they're taking)...you won't have to worry about seeing any KC Royals games on that one station this year.... :)

4. homeskillet

homeskillet Icon

Feb 3, 2004
    KMCI 38 is on DISH 500 in the Kansas City locals package. They are not available via Topeka locals... even though the tv station is 25 miles from Topeka. (Go Figure)

I have my eye on the neighbors old Primestar dish... so push comes to shove I'll go give him...oh... $30 for it :D

Rest of the Royals games are on the Royals Sports Television Network (RSTN) which is available via FOX SPORTS MIDWEST. But with the FREE PREVIEW of MLB EI I should be able to see opening game via KMCI. Opening Day is a very "special" game at The "K" ever year.

5. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    I guess you are going to use your OTA antenna to get the Home Opener. You certainly will not get it via MLB Extra Innings, since you are in the Royals Territory. KMCI will not be in the package anyway.

6. homeskillet

homeskillet Icon

Feb 3, 2004

Actually, I live 60 miles North West of Topeka, so I'm outside of the KMCI coverage area and can't get it with an antenna on 38. I don't live inside the KC Royals blackout area. Just wishful thinking that I wish KMCI 38 was on with the Topeka locals as well as the Kansas City locals... but my wish did not come true. oh-well.

7. timmy1376

timmy1376 AllStar

Aug 3, 2003

Actually, you DO live within the Royals blackout area. All of Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, and Oklahoma are in the blackout area.

No Royals on Extra Innings for you unless someone screws up and lets a game slip.

8. homeskillet

homeskillet Icon

Feb 3, 2004

I've never had a Royals game blacked out ever, maybe it changed this year. I dunno, I'll find a way to watch it. Game is sold out already.

I guess you're right, MLB EI is for "out of market games" and not "in-market games" Even when you have no local affiliate for the game? Oh-well, I'll probably get the game on WGN since they are playing Chicago (funny thing.. Royals sent out the tickets and they say they are playing the CHICAGO CUBS when in fact, it is the CHICAGO WHITE SOX)

I have NEVER had a Royals game on WGN blacked out before... A couple of years ago the Topeka Capital-Journal did a story that the "blackout" would only happen within 100 miles of Kansas City metro... which I'm outside of. But i know these rules change all the time anyways...

9. timmy1376

timmy1376 AllStar

Aug 3, 2003
    And you have had Extra Innings in the past? I had it last year, and all R's games were blacked out.

WGN is blacked out when they are playing the Royals on Directv. But back when I had Cox, WGN was not blackedout. The R's are blacked out on Extra Innings regardless of whether or not the Royals are broadcasting.

Example: Royals playing Indians Indians are broadcasting the game from Jacobs field, that feed is on Extra Innings, they Royals are not broadcasting, but the game is still blacked out. Stupid, stupid rules I know. I have tried talking with Royals people about it but they say they don't have control of blackouts.

10. homeskillet

homeskillet Icon

Feb 3, 2004

No, I've never had MLB EI before. With the Royals games on RSTN, 90% of the games are on TV via cable (FOX SPORTS NET MIDWEST) for me. (Depends on your cable system) and 14 games are broadcast on KMCI 38 out of Lawrence-Kansas City [5 Million Watts power] No other OTA stations have the Royals.

11. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    They would also be on one of The Alternates on DISH Network when the games are on RSTN. You have to have AT60 plus or higher to get them, I believe.

12. TonyM

TonyM Banned User

Aug 14, 2003
    correct
    Even if you have EI, or Center Ice or League Pass, you WILL NOT get any more games from your local team, regardless of who is showing it.
    In MN, we are screwed because Victory isnt on Dish (or Direct or any major cable company), so If I get EI, I still cant see the Twins via the other teams broadcast.

13. timmy1376

timmy1376 AllStar

Aug 3, 2003
    Have you checked with Fox 43?? They did about 6 of the Royals games last year OTA.

I'll try calling them.

14. timmy1376

timmy1376 AllStar

Aug 3, 2003
    Isn't that the dumbest thing you ever saw?? At least last year when the R's started RSTN, they started with 500,000 homes with Time Warner in KC. But you guys with Victory are in a bad way. Just hope the Twins are hot so the demand goes up. That is the only way the Royals sold their package, starting 16-3.

I personally hate the blackout rules. They don't encourage me to go to a games just because they are blacked out. I'll just listen on the radio. I think they kill support in some cases. I can understand some home blackouts, but if the Royals are on the Road and not broadcasting, let me see the game on EI. I will not purchase EI this year because we have RSTN at the start of the season now, however, if they lifted the blackout when RSTN is not broadcasting, I would happily buy it.

15. homeskillet

homeskillet Icon

Feb 3, 2004
    WGN is broadcasting the opening game against Kansas City, and as soon as that day comes within the 9 day programming guide on my 522 I'll check to see if it is blacked out or not. Where I'm at I don't think it will be. FOX 43 did at one time broadcast Royals games, but I don't think they are still doing that unless FOX Network picks up the game. It's a mute point for me, as I can't get FOX 43 where I live, so they granted me a waiver for FOX.

I'll check out the Royals website and see if I find anything there.

16. homeskillet

homeskillet Icon

Feb 3, 2004
  17. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    Heck with baseball. The Jayhawks are on in HD for the second week in a row on channel 44 WIBW.

18. homeskillet

homeskillet Icon

Feb 3, 2004
    Still waiting till Christmas before the HDTV comes here... I know I can get WIBW-DT 44 with a high power signal...

GO JAYHAWKS!

ps.. Hey K-State, who is the Flordia International you just scheduled in football? Was Manhattan High not available?

19. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002

Even though the game shows in the 9 day EPG, the blackouts may not be in place until a day or 2 before the game. It varies from time to time.

20. timmy1376

timmy1376 AllStar

Aug 3, 2003
    Good news Homeskillet, Fox 43 is broadcasting Opening Day. Can you get channel 15 out of Junction City??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.