1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iTunes app store possibly hacked.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by rahlquist, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Jul 4, 2010 #1 of 24
    rahlquist

rahlquist Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2007
  2. Jul 4, 2010 #2 of 24
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Apple hacked? I thought they're the most secure computers...EVER! :lol: I kid, I kid. ;)

3. Jul 4, 2010 #3 of 24
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    It does sound like something funny going on... but so many of these things turn out to be the result of people doing things to themselves.

For instance... people who don't secure their computers where they login to iTunes... thus their accounts become compromised from their end. Also, people who jailbreak their iPhones and then run non-approved apps that circumvent the security of the operating system on the phone, and their iTunes accounts are compromised that way.

I'll be curious to see what the ultimate source for this particular "hack" turns out to be.

4. Jul 5, 2010 #4 of 24
    Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I know it's the holiday weekend, but I am really surprised Apple has not responded to this yet in really any real way. Seems to be plastered all over the net.

If these apps did prove to go through the App store process I am gonna be pissed.

5. Jul 5, 2010 #5 of 24
    BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    Wouldn't those people that had their accounts hacked get a email notification if a purchased was made ? Whenever Melissa or I make a app or itune purchase I receive a email notification. If that is the case then I think it's weird that those people didn't notice purchases they didn't make.

6. Jul 5, 2010 #6 of 24
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    There are times I don't get the email for a day or two, a lot of apps can be bought before I get the receipt.

7. Jul 5, 2010 #7 of 24
    BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    Good point. I usually get the email the next day. When I buy a Android app I get the notification within minutes. Since Melissa and I both make purchases from itunes I hope Apple improves the speed of notifications now.

8. Jul 5, 2010 #8 of 24
    wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    I don't joke, they have their fair share of security faults just like every other OS in the world

9. Jul 5, 2010 #9 of 24
    Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'm still waiting to hear how many of the hacked accounts belong to people who are using jailbroken iPhones. I have a sneaking suspicion that might have been the crack in the door that allowed the accounts to be hacked.

10. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I was just hit by having $700+ of fraudulent credit card charges all charged to Apple (there were a large number of $29 charges). Today, about two weeks after discovering the fraud, I got a bunch of paper statements in the mail today, all with a "ship to" in Huntington Beach CA. Thank goodness I check my credit card register every few days.

The crooks hacked into my dormant Apple iTunes account, got my credit card and postal address.

According to web reports, the hacking of Apple accounts is a very common crime.

Please protect yourself - eliminate your credit card number from your Apple account. I'd also put in a fake street address.

PS - Check out http://discussions.apple.com/thread....t=135&tstart=0 Hundreds of reports here of the same crime, and Apple does nothing. It's also impossible to talk to a human being at Apple about this fraud.

Keep in mind that this is not the same issue as the app top 50, but I'm guessing it's similar. This one goes back at least a year.

11. wilbur_the_goose

Aug 16, 2006
    ncxcstud,
    The issue I had had zero to do with the app store.

12. ncxcstud

ncxcstud Icon

Apr 22, 2007
    Oh, I know...I was just updating everyone else on the issue that was mentioned in the first post ;).

Sucks that all that happened to you Wilbur...I'm happy to see that you've at least caught it and saved yourself some real hassle and trouble down the line. Any type of theft is hard to go through...

13. wilbur_the_goose

Aug 16, 2006
    It's amazing that Apple has such a good reputation. Their customer service is horrible beyond words.

For example, when I actually got to a human (after 45 minutes of prompting/waiting), I told him that I had evidence to help in their fraud investigation. His reply?

"Thanks, but we don't really have any ability to launch fraud investigations."

My reply, "I have a name and address on the invoice - don't you want that?"

Apple, "No, not really."

Me, "What should I do with the evidence then?"

Apple, "Well... Maybe you could contact your local police department."

Me, "Swell."

Apple, "Thank you for your continued support of Apple products"

Me, "Huh? I don't own any Apple products."

Apple, "Oh, yeah. Click"

Honestly, I have no clue why people have a crush on this horrible company.

14. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    As some would attest, I'm likely the last person on Earth would would come to the defense of Apple on anything.

That said, in this case...the CSR was correct.

Unfortunately, as the laws are written today, Identity theft and related fraud are police matters, requiring a formal report to be filed and used in the event of future prosecution.

Despite the millions of cases of ID theft and fraud, the system to address the results and casualties are sadly highly outdated from a legal standpoint.

15. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'm confused... so please bear with me...

You say you had a "dormant iTunes account" hacked to gain access to your personal information... but you don't own any Apple products?

So, why do you have an iTunes account? And if it is a dormant one, why wouldn't you have already deleted your personal info (like credit card info) from that account a long time ago?

16. wilbur_the_goose

Aug 16, 2006
    I won an iPod Touch a long time ago, tried it, and didn't like it. At that time, I set up an account, but never bought anything. Deinstalled iTunes and honestly forgot about it.

Obviously, I should have erased the CC info at that time, but I innocently thought Apple had security to keep folks out of their CC database (you know, PCI standards).

PS - I also found out that it's essentially impossible to delete an Apple ID.

17. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I think people forget that the iPhone OS is, well, an OS. Between the iPhone and the iPad customer bases, suddenly Apple has something worth hacking either for the ego shot of highly publicized success or for ripping people off which now might be worthwhile.

And, because Apple has a control freak mentality, your ID goes on forever as do your iTune activations on now long-dead computers - you know, the ones that crashed and you couldn't deactivate. Right now my wife has four computers activated, only one of which actually is in use and two of which can't be deactivated. This will be her second time around with support to deal with that problem.

18. elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    I found a rather unique way of dealing with it. You can't do it very often, but if you have all 5 of your slots activated, you can delete them all at once from inside the iTunes store. I then just re-activated the remaining live ones, and all was happy with the world......

19. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah, I know people who have ran into that problem... the inability to deactivate a computer that no longer works... unless you activate a total of 5 and then can "start over". That is definitely a problem in their system where you can't login to your account from one authorized computer and delete another.