1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

J mount or other method?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Racer-X, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Jan 9, 2010 #1 of 38
    Racer-X

Racer-X Cool Member

Jan 9, 2010
    I'm having my roof redone very soon, and may have the stucco redone in a year or two, so I would like to have my dish moved *once* to a place where it won't cause issues with the home improvements. Attached is a photo of the current location.

I searched the forums, and I found this recommended: "Under Eave Mount for Slim Line AT9 and AU9-S Satellite Dish (KAUEM1)" (sorry can't post a URL till my fifth post).
    I'm not sure that would work in my case, since I think I need to mount to the horizontal 2x6(?) shown in the photo. Should I add a couple of monopoles(?) to help support the dish?

Any other suggestions for mounting? I would prefer not to have it moved temporarily while the roof is being redone, and then screw it back down through the roof.

Attached Files:

2. Jan 9, 2010 #2 of 38
    doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
  3. Jan 9, 2010 #3 of 38
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I'll second the motion for using a commdeck mount. One added benifit in your case, the cables that currently go over the edge, then through the vent to the attic, can go straight through the roof inside the commdeck. No more wires hanging all over the place. :)

4. Jan 9, 2010 #4 of 38
    Racer-X

Racer-X Cool Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Interesting. I do like it, but as noted that would require a temporary mount or just having the roofers take the dish down and schedule the installation after they are done. I can live without the TV for a few days, but the wife will be jonesing pretty bad...

I'm probably going to put in an attic fan in that spot, and it would be nice to have those cables out of the way. The idiots that put in my AC unit ran the hoses through the vent as well, but I got them to fix that...

5. Jan 9, 2010 #5 of 38
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Or mount a pole in your attic that extends out your roof like a sewer vent ... That will work well too..

6. Jan 9, 2010 #6 of 38
    Racer-X

Racer-X Cool Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Hmmm... Not too sure I like that idea; I'd be too worried about leaks. That and getting the hole in the right spot so the pole is vertical.

7. Jan 9, 2010 #7 of 38
    longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I would not worry about the leak if it is done right by your roofer. I know in my case I have a power mast, 3 sewer vents and a furnace flue all poking through the roof with no leak issues. Making the mast vertical is no big issue, the hole doesn't have to be tight as the roofer uses other means to seal it.

8. Jan 9, 2010 #8 of 38
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    And as noted earlier, a ground pole could be installed. :)

9. Jan 9, 2010 #9 of 38
    Racer-X

Racer-X Cool Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Not with the way my house is set up, unless the pole was fifteen feet high. It would look exceptionally ugly and be in the way of foot traffic.

10. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    It would hold the dish, but would not help with the cables, and gives no flexibility for the future.

11. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    Sorry, I saw you mentioned what I was about to link in your origional post already.

12. Racer-X

Racer-X Cool Member

Jan 9, 2010
    I'm leaning toward the CommDeck for the clean installation and keeping it away from the side of the house for future repaint/restucco. I do have one question: I watched the CommDeck videos, and it seemed to say I could run my cables directly from my DVR to the LNBs(?) on the dish. As it is now, there are four cables coming out of the dish that are only a few feet long that connect to my cables. Do I have to have it that way? Advantages / disadvantages?

13. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Those cables (4) from interchangeable ports on the LNB SHOULD be run to a ground block near the point of entry AND the ground bond for the house. There SHOULD be a ground wire moulded to at least one of the lines that grounds the dish through the same ground block. From the ground block each of the lines runs to a tuner.

It builds from there.

Joe

14. Racer-X

Racer-X Cool Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Gotcha. As it is now, two of the lines from the dish go to a ground block, and two others hang free. Two of my cables go to the other side of the ground block, and the other two connect to the free cables. It sounds like I should have the roofer install the CommDeck, and let the satellite guy run the cables from the dish through the roof and mound a ground block in my attic and attach my cables from there.

Sound about right?

15. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Pretty close,

The ground block should be outside the structure near the ground bond and cable entrance. The distance from the ground block to the cable entrance and distance from the ground block to the bond is between ten and twenty feet, depending on which person reads the electrical code.

What you plan will work but will not conform to ground requirements. There are many happy installations out there without a proper ground.

A good practice would be to add two additional lines from the dish at this time for future use. Should you ever need above four tuners you will need all four lines to run a multiswitch. Also, at that time you would do well to look at the single wire multiswitch technology.

Joe

16. Racer-X

Racer-X Cool Member

Jan 9, 2010
    OK, now I'm confused. Right now, the ground block is about two feet from the dish, and about one from the entrance to the house. So, that's incorrect, right?
    How are you supposed to ground a CommDeck? If I read your post correctly, you would have to run the cables and ground wire away from it for several feet, then turn back and go inside. Seems like they ingnore that little detail on the CommDeck site.

I suspect I really only have to worry about electrical ground, and not about lightning strikes. We don't get much of that around here - maybe once every few years.

Thanks for the tip, but we've got a small house and two receivers right now. There is no place for another one or two. When we die, the future owners can do what they wish with the place ;-)

17. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Looks like you are ready.....I had an image of attempting to ground from a second story or attic location.....For a single story roof you could even use a 2" (for Ka/Ku) or a 1.66" (for SD with round dish) pipe from a hole with concrete to a point above the roof.

Report success.

Joe

18. swillotter

swillotter Mentor

Nov 7, 2008
    i don't think that the mount shown is directv approved..you don't want a tech out there refusing to work on your system because he's afraid to fail a qc or something. clamp mounts that clamp on the rafter tails or clamp on the 2x6 at the peak of the roof with two monopoles are the way to go if it's a ka-ku dish

19. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Swill,

The list of things Directv approves or doesn't approve is long and ambiguous.

Going around the HSP system avoids a lot of opera. Some tech with two weeks experience will do anything for a few bucks extra.....there probably won't be a third week.

QC is a swindle...when these guys publish a specification you can have quality control.

This looks like an ez deal...... the Commdeck excedes the FREE standard installation in many quality related ways.

Joe

20. Racer-X

Racer-X Cool Member

Jan 9, 2010
    It is a slimline 5 LNB dish.

Considering they refused to mount it that way in the first place, they better not give me grief over the CommDeck. I explicitly told them to mount it the same way as the dish they were replacing, which was to the rafter tails, and they didn't. Afterwards, they told me it was "too heavy". I just got a dumfounded look when I asked why he didn't explain this upfront and what I was going to do when the roof needed to get replaced.

[edit]
    Seems like the CommDeck is approved: http://forums.directv.com/pe/RepositoryFileDownloadServlet/10378103/Approved M