1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Jackson, MS CW affiliate WRBJ flipping to Trinity, what will Dish do?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by gor88, Mar 4, 2013.

1. gor88

gor88 Icon

May 9, 2003
    We are about to lose our current CW affiliate, WRBJ, to Trinity. Roberts Broadcasting, owned by two brothers who can't seem to run any business well, sold the station to Trinity in a bankruptcy sale.

This brings up some questions:

1. Once WRBJ flips to Trinity, will WRBJ disappear from the locals? I seem to remember that Dish (and DirecTV too) have an agreement with Trinity that they don't have to broadcast the local channel if they already carry the national TBN feed.

2. How will Dish handle the new, but yet unnamed, CW affiliate in Jackson? WUFX 35 is a MyNetworkTV affiliate that is favored to be the new home of CW, but may or may not take the affiliation, since this station was sold for $1 to a private college here, in order to give students the opportunity to see and take part in running a real TV station. The other possibility is our ABC affiliate WAPT, who only airs a SD feed of their radar on their second subchannel, could add CW as a subchannel in HD. If this occurs, would Dish still add CW if it goes to WAPT on 16.2? I ask this, because in smaller markets, it seems that Dish and DirecTV don't add CW if it's on a subchannel.

For those of you in the know, what do you think would happen here in Jackson once the flip occurs?

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    First CW has to sign an agreement with a local broadcaster.
    second DISH has to work out an agreement for rebroadcast of that channel
    Third you need patience while this transpires.

4TH you might try subscribing to a Super Station to get your CW..

3. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    The CW and MynetworkTV arn't networks. Here KRON only has advertising most of the day.

4. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    ??? The CW and MYNetwork ARE Networks. Like all of the networks(fox, nbc, abc, cbs) they show syndicated, local and informercials during the day and then the network programming at night/early morning. Not sure what yours do, but if your cw isnt showing the national cw programming, you might want to contact the cw network.(not your local cw affiliate).

5. gor88

gor88 Icon

May 9, 2003
    Actually, MyNetworkTV is not a network as defined by the FCC (I think that's right). There has to be 15 hours of network programming and a certain amount of E/I programming in order to be granted "network" status. MyNetworkTV themselves acknowledge that they are now only a "programming service".

CW, on the other hand, does meet the FCC definition of a network. IMHO, Dish and DirecTV should technically be carrying CW in any market where it is OTA, regardless of whether it is low power or a subchannel.

The most interesting thing is that the Nielsen numbers for Arrow and The Vampire Diaries (their most popular series) lately are almost as good as the NBC show in the same time slot, which is not saying much for NBC,

6. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    While I understand that it would be frustrating if you there is something you like on The CW, I wouldn't subscribe to the superstation if you have high speed internet as virtually every CW show can be streamed from The CW website though you have to tolerate commercials.

7. gor88

gor88 Icon

May 9, 2003
    WRBJ flipped over from the CW to Trinity this past Friday. Waiting to see who is announced as the next CW affiliate. The Jackson, MS market is now the largest market without its own CW affiliate.