1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jerry Lewis Retiring From Muscular Dystrophy Telethon After 45 Years

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by fluffybear, May 17, 2011.

1. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Full Article

2. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Wow 45 years Im only 44

3. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I know this is sad .. but .. since I was thinking in the back of my head that Jerry Lewis was dead, it's probably a bonus that he's just retiring ..

Congrats to him though .. He's done a lot for that organization over the years.

4. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    According to the article, this years telethon will be trimmed down to 6 Prime Time Hours. That's a far cry from the 21+ I grew up with.

5. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Jerry hosting the MDA telethon became a huge part of my family's life in 1982 when I was 4 years old and finally diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy. MDA is a great organization and Jerry will be missed. To those who've donated - I thank you very much!

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Yawn....

7. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Thanks for your delightful insight. :rolleyes:

8. DarkSkies

DarkSkies Legend

Nov 30, 2007
    Yet you cared enough to share your boredom.

Yawn.

I recall growing up watching the MDA telethon where hours in NY were split between Jerry Lewis hosting from the west coast and Tony Orlando hosting from NYC. My grandmother and mother always watched the telethon each year and my biggest memories, besides the hosts, were the timpani drumrolls before they revealed the new pledge total, and counting down until Jerry Lewis loosened his bowtie and left it dangling... :)

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    He's not completely going away, he's still chairman, but the telethon certainly was a very big part of his role.

10. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I got your back here. I do not have a friends or family that are afflicted with this disease, so my attention level to this marathon over my entire life has been zero. I only know of Jerry Lewis because of the telethon. Never saw a movie that he was in. For my generation, the man is not relevant, except for the largest head on a performer.

Addendum: Sorry to MD victims out there.

11. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    He still hasn't revealed why he started the telethon.

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'm a Gen X'r and find him hilarious. Admittedly I'm not normal, I also enjoy Buster Keaton and Jimmy Stewart.

13. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    From Fox News:

14. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Seems like it was basically a publicity stunt.

Personally, I never really cared for him as an actor. He seemed to detract from Dean Martin in their duos instead of adding anything

15. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Personally, I think MDA feared some serious repercussions (stars backing out of the telethon and less donations) by getting rid of Jerry the way they did.

Much like you, I never really cared for Jerry Lewis the actor.

16. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    45 years of donations and not major one advancement or cure--Looks to me like it's another of the many fronts for job creation (98% to wages) rather than looking for a cure (OH) i forgot finding a cure is no way to make a profit --The profit is in the maintenance- Example Diabetes!! & AIDS ;)

They realized their mistake when the CURED Polio!!!!

17. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Cancer, heart disease, common cold................................

18. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Your ignorant comment (partially stolen from the great Chris Rock) truly shows you have no clue about the MDA. There's more to MDA than scientific research. They help provide families with expensive medical equipment, including wheelchairs. Growing up, I was NEVER accepted by my parents insurance companies due to a "preexisting condition." Do you have a clue what a customized wheelchair costs? They cost more than some cars. They also fund summer camps to give kids a chance a week away from home to participate in activities they've never done.

You're post is disappointing and I hope you or your family never have to experience what it's like to have this neuromuscular disease. Don't think you might not have a form of MD because some forms, including Lou Gehrig's Disease develops later in life.

19. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    This article may interest you:

20. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    Jerry Lewis was a slapsitck comedian that used a very loud and irritating vocal schtick which in it's day was quite funny to our more innocent populace. My grandmother and her friends would nearly wet themselves from laughing so hard at his stuff.

By today's standards he was quite offensively stupid though in an innocently self deprecating way. Which may explain why his movies are so revered by the French even today:p

His work with MD has shown the world that he is far more than his schtick lead the world to believe.

Don "HEY LAADEE" Bolton