1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Jets Assistant Coach Apologizes for Tripping Dolphins Player

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by fluffybear, Dec 13, 2010.

1. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Full Article: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/12/13/jets-assistant-coach-apologizes-tripping-dolphins-player/

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h32GjasxOvU&feature=player_embedded

2. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
  3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Bad enough when the players on the sidelines sometimes get involved in play... but at least a player might actually get in the game at some point.

There is no reason at all that could possibly excuse a coach on the sidelines doing something like that.

4. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Bunch of cheaters I hope they just miss the playoffs

5. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    There is no reason to punish the Jets for this lone idiot. Yes, he should be fired and banned from ever setting foot on a field ever again but there is no reason to punish the everyone else.
    At least his stupidity did not affect the outcome of the game.

6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I agree. I'm not a Jets fan but Alosi should be fined and fired.

7. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    You could also argue that he was guilty of assault. When a player hits another player too hard, it at least is between two competitors that are permitted to be part of the game.

When a coach hits a player like that... it has no place in the game at all since the coach is not an eligible player... so IF the Jets and the NFL don't come down hard on this guy... expect a potential lawsuit for the league and the Jets and possibly consideration of criminal charges against the coach.

I'm not saying it is exactly the same as assaulting a guy on the street... but it honestly isn't a whole lot removed from that.

If they don't come down hard on the guy... then one day another coach is going to see a way to stop a runback TD and will affect the outcome of a game...

8. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Its a class-less act, and could cause serious injury. It's also against the rules, and out of line for anyone on the sidelines to do this.

Plenty of reason to discipline the guy - not sure its worthy of firing...but maybe something that hits him in the wallet would do the trick.

9. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    I remember a bowling tournament I was in one of the players was throwing a perfect game. When he came up to the ninth frame a player on the other side threw a towel at his back just as he was getting ready to throw. Naturally the player miss and when the player who threw was ask why he threw the towel he could not explain. He said that it was something that he did on the spur of the moment. I for one have no reason to believe he did it on purpose. Sometimes we do things that can never be explain.

10. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    That line only worked once with my wife.... :D

11. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    Now you didn't trip your wife, did you!? :eek2:

12. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    I agree, he should be fired -- banned is probably a bit much... This act in any employment situation would be grounds for dismissal.

13. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Well.....my explanation at the time to her was simply....."Have a nice trip....see ya next fall." :D

(OK - that didn't really happen).... ;)

14. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I might be willing to go a limited ban - maybe a few years but the NFL really needs to make an example of this idiot.

15. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Full Article: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/12/13/jets-suspend-strength-coach-tripping-incident/

16. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    That's pretty much what I expected would happen....seems fitting.

17. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    The ironic part in this: he won an award for sportsmanship and fair play both on and off the field during his college career at Hofstra.

18. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    While I personally would have rather seen something a little more harsh, I'll accept it since his actions did not effect the outcome of the game.

19. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    ....or result in a senseless significant injury...

20. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Didn't effect the outcome of the game... and the player tripped wasn't injured in a meaningful way. So I think it is fine to fine and suspend the remainder of the season.

IF this same coach does anything like this again, though, then I'd be for firing and perhaps lifetime ban.

I'm willing to give a 2nd chance on a first offense for a guy that otherwise hasn't (to my knowledge) been involved in anything else negative... but now he very publicly should know better.

A more important thing, though... this was barely caught on camera. How many times has something like this happened and NOT been caught? And IF it wasn't caught, how many people would have just thought the Miami player was making it up?