1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Joey and the Internet

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by greencat, Dec 9, 2013.

1. greencat

greencat Cool Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Is there a need for the Joey to connect to the internet? If so how is it done?

Thanks

2. some guy

some guy Godfather

Oct 26, 2012
    Enable Bridging on the Hopper. Its in the broadband menu and that passes the IP from the Hopper to the Joey so that you can access all the apps from the Joey.

3. ncwoodbee

ncwoodbee New Member

Jun 5, 2012
    What I have found is that , since the Joey has built in wireless, ( the hopper soes not) and if bridgeing is turned on, I can set the Joey to connect and then the Hopper will bridge and both will be conneccted to broadband, I have not had a need to try the other way, but can't see a reason it would not work.

4. rapeb

rapeb New Member

Dec 28, 2013
    I'm wondering if this would work for bridging:

A hopper w/ sling (built in wifi) connected wirelessly to a router.
    A joey (no coax connections) connected via ethernet to the same router.

Any ideas? First hand experience?

Edit:
    Or would I have to connect the joey directly to the hopper via ethernet?

5. some guy

some guy Godfather

Oct 26, 2012
    Yes it should work.

6. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    My Joey is connected to the internet through the Hoppers internet connection. Turn on bridging on your Hopper and it will distribute the internet over the MOCA connection.

7. zane77

zane77 New Member

Apr 8, 2012
    When I select bridging on my Hopper it will say enabled for a few seconds and then will switch back to disabled. Anyone have any ideas?

8. 722921

722921 Legend

Jan 3, 2008
    Glad this came up, great feature.