1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Joey Ethernet, Purpose?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by rsicard, Mar 30, 2012.

1. rsicard

rsicard Cool Member

Aug 24, 2003
    Maybe it is posted someone where already, but help me understand the purpose of the Ethernet connection on the Joey?

Also why 2 Ethernet ports on the Hopper?

2. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    Edit: wrong answer

3. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    Absent a HIC, the Joeys ethernet port can be used to direct connect to the network. It's been said the Hopper can be used like a switch to connect another nearby device to your network. I haven't confirmed this tho.
    A Sling Adapter uses 1 of the usb ports.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The Ethernet on the Joey can be used for viewing "Home Media" off of your local network. (Unless you have the Hopper Internet Connector a Hopper or Joey not connected to the network cannot use this feature.)

The second Ethernet port on the Hopper works, but does not route. Your home network can be connected to either port - a device connected to the other port cannot see your home network.

The sling adapter connects via USB.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I believe it's not.

If it could make routing packets ... but it will be FW implementation.

SO, no; no switch is there.

6. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    Thanks for confirming that James.

7. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    I guess I should not quote my installer w/o checking for myself.
    He didn't have a Sling on the truck, but told me to plug it into the other Ethernet port when it arrives. :nono2:

8. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    So to get Sling is the HIC required? I have a 922 and a 722K hardwired from my network and it works fine. We don't use BB, I use Sling while online similar to a TV2, while others are watching TV in the same room. I don't think I understand the Hoppers and Joeys communicating yet. My install is scheduled for Wed. it should be interesting. I live in a rural area and when I got the 922 my installer had never seen one before he installed mine.

9. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Internet is required, HIC is just one way of getting it to the Hopper. Sling works fine with the Hopper plugged in to an Ethernet cable.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Tell us also you've been mystified with internal switch by the installer :D.

11. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    Thanks, I'm getting tired of buying new things.

12. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    A Hopper install is fairly cheap. If you need it, it will be installed as part of the upgrade price. Dishes, cabling, the node, taps, splitters ... the only reason one would have to "buy new things" is if they wanted to.

13. jacmyoung

jacmyoung Hall Of Fame

Sep 8, 2006
    I am curious why isn't Sling a built-in in the Hopper?

14. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    A good question. Why not spend money on extra hardware that most users will have no use for and the ones that would want it, already have.

After the way the built-in sling boosted sales of the 922, Oh wait it didn't do that at all.

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
  16. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    :confused::confused:

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea