1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joey loses video and audio out but can see guide

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by dish40, Feb 9, 2013.

1. dish40

dish40 New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    We started Dish a few months ago and have a hopper and joey. At least once a day, the tv connected the Joey does not get the video or audio, though I can scroll through the guide. When I push select, the small screen in the upper left turns black and there is no way to get it back except to push the red button o the hopper. Occasionally I can duplicate the problem by watching a recorded show, press stop, press live tv and I get the black screen with the guide. All dish parts have been replaced once except the dish itself. 5 techs have been to the house. One ran coax from the gray box that connected othe lmb (which was replaced twice) to the hopper and joey and still had the problem. Today's temporary solution was replace he Joey again and the occasional problem happened before the tech left. The wireless adapter is currently disconnected as that was a possible fix, but does not seem to have helped. The tech said maybe my Comcast internet that is run through coax in the same box outside is an issue due to leakage. I am open to suggestions. I saw one thread that said a certain type of coax is needed, but I don't know how to tell the difference unless a label is printed.

2. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Your Comcast and Dish shouldn't coexist on the same physical cable. That will cause issues.

Your Joey should run on any cable, relatively speaking. The Hopper needs the full swept 3000Mhz cable. If the cable between the Hopper and the Node isn't full swept 3000MHz then you can lose signal.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    the tech could use spectrum analyzer to see what signals in your cable(s) ..

4. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    The Moca signal for the Joeys runs from 650 to 875Mhz. This is the same as cable channels 100-137. Also, Comcast internet downstream does fall in this band range in some areas. If there is any kind of bleed over from the Comcast, it will cause problems.

5. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    loses