1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Johnstown/Altoona PA Locals

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by wideglide36, Jan 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wideglide36

wideglide36 Legend

Jan 14, 2004
    Hey,
    Just wondering if anyone in the Johnstown/Altoona PA area had their locals and what kind of picture quality they were getting with the locals. (Directv)
    I've been trying to decide whether to get Directv to install the 2nd dish for our locals (which I really don't want two dishes on the side of the house) or switch to Dish Network because they only require one dish for everything. I realize all the pros and cons of switching to Dish, but at least with dish, I won't have a 12 month commitment so if I don't like Dish I can return to Directv at any time. Didn't mean to get off track, thanks for any help with the locals reception question,
    wideglide36

2. Shappyss

Shappyss AllStar

Jun 26, 2004
    "Because your ZIP code is 15901, we're happy to offer you these Johnstown-Altoona PA stations:

Available Channels

Network Affiliate Local Channel # 3-Digit Channel # (for older receivers)
    PBS WPSX 3 0
    NBC WJAC 6 0
    FOX WWCP 8 0
    CBS WTAJ 10 0
    WB WB 14 0
    ABC WATM 23 0
    IND WKBS 47 0

You can receive these local channels using DIRECTV® Multi-Satellite Receiver with APG. So sign up now for a package that includes local channels!

It doesnt require a second dish just replacing the old one with a Phase III

3. Shappyss

Shappyss AllStar

Jun 26, 2004
    Im sorry, I just checked on another part of the Directv site and now it says you are one of the few new markets that require the use of a second dish

If u havent alread, u should call and see which part of there site is correct

Johnstown, PA**

**Receipt of local channels in these markets requires the use of a second 18-inch DIRECTV Dish.

4. wideglide36

wideglide36 Legend

Jan 14, 2004
    Shappyss,

Thanks for the info.

I currently have the Phase III dish and I'm pretty sure In the Johnstown/Altoona PA area that we need the second dish to receive our locals.
    I would also like to hear from Dish Network owners in my area as far as the picture quality of the local channels.
    I was wondering if the local channels picture quality was much different between Dish and Directv in my area? Thanks as always,
    wideglide36

5. 88fan

88fan Legend

Jan 22, 2004
    I install both. I think Direct has better pic quality on their locals for Altoona/Johnstown. Plus you get channels 47 and channel 14(WB out of Miami). Dish only gives you channels 3,6,8,10,and 23. On dish, channel 8 has had lines in pic since they launched last year. Channel 23 has it's moments too, on Dish. The only problem is that Direct only allows their own techs to do the upgrades, so you'll wait forever. It does take a 2 dish system for Direct. One needs to point to 72.5 for your locals. This is located at 179 degrees with a 43 degree elevation. This is nice because in PA you usually need clearance for trees.

6. wideglide36

wideglide36 Legend

Jan 14, 2004
    88fan,
    Thanks for the comparison.
    Why is it that Directv will only allow their own techs to do the installs? Isn't it a fairly simple install? I thought it was simply a matter of putting up a single dish with one line running to the flex port 1 input on the 6x8 multiswitch. Of course I could be all wrong on that.
    Any idea of when Directv would install the second dish if I ordered now? (Ballpark guess?)
    Anyhow, thanks for your feedback,
    wideglide36

7. 88fan

88fan Legend

Jan 22, 2004
    It is simple. It's just their policy. I guess because some will need new receivers. Some of the old receivers are not compatible with the second dish software. Directv can simply give the customer a new receiver. I have no idea on how long.

8. wideglide36

wideglide36 Legend

Jan 14, 2004
    Thanks 88fan,
    I've heard on other forums that, like you said, there is an extremely long wait for the local channels install from Directv.
    I'll probably just call Dish Network when my commitment with Directv is up.
    Thanks again for all the info
    wideglide36

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.