1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Jonesboro AR locals

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by jrcart, Jan 12, 2013.

1. jrcart

jrcart Cool Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Is there a chance that the locals could ever be changed in Jonesboro, AR? Currently we receive the ABC that is in Jonesboro, KAIT. It has to be one of the sorriest stations for local news & weather I have ever seen! The rest of the local networks are in Paducah KY-Cape Girardeau MO. Before I moved to Jonesboro I was able to receive the Little Rock locals. When I had Directv installed in Jonesboro the receivers were still set for Little Rock. They came in crystal clear! So I know the signal is good enough. Plus the installer even said that he had a special perk and was able to get the Little Rock stations through his boss. I hate the fact that I still live in AR but cannot get all AR locals.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If you cannot get them via an antenna on the roof, chances are, you will never get them from DirecTv legally. You would have a better chance of them allowing you to get the Memphis locals (minus ABC).
    You could put up an antenna, and pick up Memphis, and could probably pick up Little Rock on Spring and Fall evenings via skip.

3. Dan9

Dan9 Godfather

Feb 21, 2005
    I've never understood D* reasoning for giving us those channels either, we are a lot closer to Memphis than Cape. I've e-mailed the program director for Fox 23 KBSI Cape, about getting their MY network TV subchannel, and he acted surprised that we even get his FOX affiliate. Trumann is only 15 miles away, and receives Memphis locals, which boggles my mind as to why we don't?

4. jrcart

jrcart Cool Member

Oct 17, 2008
    I think I knew the answer would be no. I just needed to vent a little. I don't think an antenna would work for the Little Rock locals. I have several tall pine trees around my property. I might try the cable route. Aren't the cable companies supposed to have a life line package that just has the locals on it? I think they offer some of the Little Rock stations on their cable here. Not sure if it would be in HD or not.

5. HGuardian

HGuardian Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    Jonesboro is in the Little Rock DMA isn't it? Are you in a neighboring county outside where a majority of Jonesboro lies?

6. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If cable offers them, it would probably be the only way if you cannot put up an antenna. I have about the highest gain antenna available, with a preamp, and can only get KAIT sporatically, so I doubt you would have much luck with our channels.

I would, however, put an antenna up if I lived there, just because you can get Cape, Paducah, Memphis, and occasionally Jackson...and at night, the signals really carry well up the Mississippi River from further south.

As for Little Rock, you can watch all the newscasts live on THV2.COM if you dont mind using a computer or internet connected box.

7. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Jonesboro is outside the Little Rock DMA. They actually are their own DMA, but only have an ABC and PBS, and religious station present.

8. HGuardian

HGuardian Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    OK. Thanks. :)

9. jrcart

jrcart Cool Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Thanks for your input.

10. RML81

RML81 Legend

Jul 3, 2011
    I suspect that the reason Memphis stations aren't carried is that KAIT would then have to compete with them for ad revenues. Stations from Paducah and Cape Girardeau have no interest in advertising in the Jonesboro area.

11. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Could be right....most decisions made in this country that screw over customers are based on greed or money somewhere in the uncontrollable chain.

12. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    And if you lived in Cherokee Village, AR, you would receive either Springfield, MO (for those residing in Fulton County) or the "locals" you listed (for those residing in Sharp County). It is absurb, but I just don't watch the locals for their news content.

I use to pay $3.50 each for the East/West feeds of the four networks and was quite happy to start receiving the locals you listed.

The Little Rock feed is illegal and I would hope those "installers" are caught and fired by Direct.

13. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    You probably would not want Little Rock locals anyway.
    They spend all of their time trying to out compete each other as to how soon, and how far away from Little Rock they can interrupt programming to show weather alerts. The Fox station actually has to drop its programming to SD to show lower third graphics. It all makes it next to impossible to watch or enjoy a show. I installed a 10' BUD just so I could watch network programming without all that BS.