1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joystick recommendation sought

Discussion in 'Gaming Fun - The Other Reality' started by Geronimo, Aug 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I do not play computer games that often. When iI do I often discover that the joystick connector is no longer connected to the game port on my PC.

I have noticed that even game port joysticks that picture a secure screw in connector usaully dont have on nearly so secure. I realize I could switch to USB but would prefer not to.

Any suggestions for an inexpensive controller with areal connector---or am I missing something

2. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    VERY few have the screw-in connector. At least some of the Interact GAMEPADS (including the popular AxisPad) do. If you really want it to screw in, my suggestion would be to replace the connector. I'm sure you could find the connector online easily or even at Radio Shack. Do you have the skills and tools to place the connector on the cable? If not, look at finding a computer "geek" (and I say that in the nicest way) friend. If you'd rather get a new controller, I know at least SOME of the InterAct products have this type of connector. Have a great day and good luck!

3. bogi

bogi Godfather

Apr 2, 2002
    The old Microsoft sidewinder classic its 5 bucks on ebay. I use it for my emulators and gta3 the best 5 bucks you could ever spend.

4. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I have a Thrustmaster steering wheel and foot peddles they have screws, my Mouse System joystick does not. I used to use them for Nascar2 and RoadRash, hopefully I'lll beable to use the steering wheel for GTA3, if it still works.

5. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Its getting harder and harder to use the gameport on computers. I don't think Microsoft supports non USB joysticks anymore.

6. Kerry High

Kerry High AllStar

Apr 28, 2002
    Why wouldn't you want to use USB? It's a lot more convienient, and you can plug many joysticks into it at one time.

Personally, I use a Dual Shock controller with a PSX-USB adapter that Radio Shack sells.

7. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    How are the drivers on those???? I'm very interesting in giving that a try since the PS2/PSX controller is the best IMO...

8. Kerry High

Kerry High AllStar

Apr 28, 2002
    No drivers needed, it works with the default HID drivers included with Windows.

The only disadvantage to this adapter is that is doesn't seem to support force feedback. The price is pretty good, though, about $10. It's a lot better then the cheap Gravis gamepad I've been using.

9. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    Don't really care about force feedback. I'm just looking for something to play Medal of Honor: Allied Assult with... :D

10. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    USB slots taken. Don't want to buy a hub too. Thought this might work---especially sine the port is there for this purpose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.