1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jump to Satellite

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by PK6301, Apr 16, 2014.

1. PK6301

PK6301 Legend

May 16, 2012
    Erie, PA
    I made the jump from cable and over the air programming to satellite over 7 years ago, I would not go back to cable if you paid me. I cannot p/u over the air very well so I would only go back if needed. Needless to say I love my satellite service.

In my travels around my town I observe that a great number of individuals agree with me. You can see more and more satellite dishes attached to roofs,poles,garages, and mountable surfaces. :hurah:

15 years ago Cable was on the offensive pushing their product, now they are on the defensive hoping not to lose more ground to the satellite companies.

What are your thoughts ? Please share..

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I've been a satisfied DirecTV customer for 19 years. Every time I receive a offer from cable or DISH I think about it, laugh about it, and forget about it.

3. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    18 Years here and not looking back.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I have never seen a cable TV picture that was sharp.

Way back in the mid 90's I had cable for SD and it was good. However, they raised my rate 3 times in 12 months and at that time jobs were hard to get and a raise was out of the question.
    I ditched them for DTV in 1996.

We do use Comcast cable internet and it is fast but also very expensive.

5. PK6301

PK6301 Legend

May 16, 2012
    Erie, PA
    I use cable for internet also, mainly because it is the only game in town worth having.

Verizion's DSL is Laughable :rotfl: and I have not heard good things about satellite internet..So I am stuck with Time Warner for Internet :bang My internet is sky-high for the speed that is decent ..

6. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I have Cable for Internet and from what I can see of the Basic cable I also have the picture is OK.
    I have my choice of OTA, Cable, two satellite TV companies and Fios. I'll stay where I am on satellite TV from inertia as much as anything. If it isn't busted don't fix it.

Here is a simple question, Is Fios a cable company? I tend to think so which would mean I have two cable companies I could choose from.

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    My sister in Florida says she has FIOS. She says it is Verizon's Fiber Optics. She says it is as good of a picture quality as she has seen on any TV.

8. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Fios is Verizon. It's Fiber optic TV , Internet, And phone. Not really a cable company. Most of their company is wireless and land line phones services.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

9. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    The underlying back end technology is the same that cable companies use; they carry channels on standard digital QAM (up to 870 MHz). They offer CableCards as well just like the cable companies, and I believe there set-tops they provide customers also have CC's embedded inside.

10. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    I'm happy with Dish because I only need to pay $7/mo in DVR/Receiver fees. With any other provider, I would have to pay for a STB for each TV (see the current thread on Receivers for details on my setup).

I have FiOS for Internet & Phone and I added the local channel package (without a STB) to lower my bill. If I upgraded to the FiOS TV package equivalent to AT250, I would be paying more because of the extra STB fees.

Comcast would be cheaper for phone & Internet, but I wouldn't want to rely on them. It would be more expensive if I switched to their TV service over Dish.

11. PK6301

PK6301 Legend

May 16, 2012
    Erie, PA
    Update:
    5 days ago I reneged and had Satellite Internet installed. So far so good, but time will tell.. Time Warner made me mad for the last time. I did my due diligence and researched the two company's offered in the area, I then found the local installer and talked to him. He came out did a site survey and we determined the optimum spot and we sunk a pole for the Satellite dish. It snakes in right next to my Directv into the house, so no extra holes.

I will see what happens down the line, but for now things are OK..

12. ground_pounder

ground_pounder New Member

Aug 15, 2014
    been a directv subscriber since 1996 :righton: . I remember when it was directv and ussb and you had two separate bills. I haven't looked back to cable since there picture and sound quality is inferior compared to satellite. I did go in and pay my cable for my interwebs package and I was watch tv on an HD channel and it was breaking up!!