1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jumped Ship - OTA Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by thefunks67, Jan 31, 2011.

1. thefunks67

thefunks67 Godfather

Feb 4, 2007
    Just placed my D* order which includes two HD-DRV's, one for the living room and the bedroom. I wanted two tuners for each room.

My question is how do I get my OTA channels fed to my living room DVR. With my E* 620 it had a built in OTA tuner but my understanding is the HR24's do not have a built in OTA tuner.

Is there anyway to feed the OTA antenna to the bedroom DVR without having to run coax? The living room OTA antenna has access to the antenna coax

-Funk

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    You'll need to get the AM21 add on module to get ATSC/OTA tuners added to your HD DVR's. If you need OTA on the bedroom HD DVR that box will also need an AM21 since you're not to diplex the OTA signal on a single coax line on a SWiM setup. If you have the WHDVR option you could record the OTA channel on the living room HD DVR and then use WHDVR to view the recording in the bedroom. Any chance that an indoor antenna could pull in the channels you want in the bedroom?

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    You will have to run a cable to the vicinity of the HR24, then you can get the AM21 antenna module which will integrate the OTA stuff into the DVR.

4. thefunks67

thefunks67 Godfather

Feb 4, 2007
    Nope. It's really not a big deal as the bedroom never had access to the OTA, but if if could be done without pulling a new cable that would have been a bonus and a nice surprise for the wife. :)

Thanks guys for the info.

-Funk

5. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Are you getting Whole House Cinema installed? If so, and your OTA link is in the LR, as RAD said, you can record on the LR and play back in the BR, though you won't be able to see the channels in the BR. I do that very occasionally with an HR20-700 (which does have OTA), in the LR, playback in BR, but most my OTA is duplicated by DirecTV, so after testing PQ, I just use the D* feed.

6. thefunks67

thefunks67 Godfather

Feb 4, 2007
    Yes, Whole House Cinema is on the order.

I will use that as Plan B. Thanks.

-Funk

7. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Make sure, there's two different things:

- Whole Home DVR, allows HD receivers to access programming from HD DVR's

- Cinema Connetion Kit, connects the DIRECTV coax network to your internet connection for DIRECTV on Demand, TVApps, MediaShare, DIRECTV2PC

8. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Excellent point, and yes, make sure!
    At the same time, it's hard for me to conceive anyone would order Whole House without the "Connection Kit"- but I guess there are houses or homes if you like, where there's no ethernet, or where On Demand, etc., are purposely rendered unobtainable with a given setup.

9. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The DIRECTV DVRs are installed with SWiM and will require one coax cable coming from the satellite dish. This will support both tuners. If you already have one coax, that will likely be used for this purpose. If you happen to have 2 coax cables today, the second one can now be used for any over the air connections.

Of course, you will need to get the AM-21 for one or both locations to even get OTA unless you end up with an HR20 (which is unlikely).

10. thefunks67

thefunks67 Godfather

Feb 4, 2007
    From the work order:

DIRECTV CINEMA™ Connection Kit Free 1 Free

Whole-Home DVR Service $3.00 1 $3.00

The bedroom and living room have no Ethernet connection. The living room is using a bridge for it's Internet connectivity. The BR has nothing ATM.

-Funk

11. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Looks like you're good to go then. You should make sure that you have an open port on your router and a power outlet for the broadband DECA unit.

12. thefunks67

thefunks67 Godfather

Feb 4, 2007
    That I do have. The router is on the 2nd floor and I do have an open port on the router along with an available power outlet.

Install is on the 11th and I am excited to test out the MRV, something E* has failed to come through with.

-Funk

13. CoolGui

CoolGui Icon

Feb 8, 2006
    Just a word of warning... Don't expect the added OTA will tuner allow you to record more than 2 programs at a time. I stupidly assumed it would work like the Dish OTA tuners and give you 1 or 2 extra simultaneous recordings, but it doesn't. I still don't regret buying it as I like to have the tuner for the extra sub-channels and for bad weather. I was just a little let down that it didn't increase my recording capacity. I should have read the forums and docs closer.

14. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    CoolGui, you are correct. The HR2x DVR will allow two simultaneous recordings and no more. This would be 2 SAT, 1 SAT + 1 OTA or 2 OTA can be recorded at the same time.

15. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    There was a lot of discussion of that when the AM21 came out, but for the most part people are fine with two recordings per DVR. For those who aren't, there are rumors of a prototype that may do more.

16. thefunks67

thefunks67 Godfather

Feb 4, 2007
    CoolGui, thanks for the heads up. Fortunately, I RARELY record three streams on Dish now so it won’t be a huge setback. I use the OTA to watch something else while the other 2 tuners are recording.

I assume the OTA feed will have to be watched in real time and I won’t be able to pause the feed?

-Funk

17. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I think you missunderstand, you can have only two tuners (either DBS, OTA or mixture) in use at one time, be it recording or watching live. So you can't record two DBS channels and then watch a live OTA channel on the DVR. If your TV has an ATSC tuner in it you could connect the antenna to the TV also and then watch live OTA while recording two DBS channels as an alternative solution.

18. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    That's correct, unless one of the previously engaged tuner is freed up, and even then you'll have to switch back to watching "off" the DVR, not the OTA feed to the TV.

19. thefunks67

thefunks67 Godfather

Feb 4, 2007
    Clear now.

One last question, I can record two tuners and play back a recorded show all at once, correct?

-Funk

20. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes!

Enjoy!
    :)