1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Just activated HR10-250 from Ebay

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mdfuller, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 8, 2006 #1 of 11
    mdfuller

mdfuller New Member

Mar 8, 2006
    I know some of you guys and gals are curious about this whole leasing fiasco. I just bought a hd dvr on Ebay and had no issues activating it. Just make sure they mark it as owned. Just an FYI. If you are a lease hater like myself I suggest you go buy one before they disappear.

2. Mar 8, 2006 #2 of 11
    morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    Good to know. The thing about the HR10-250 I love the most, as long as you get decent OTA HD, is you can use it forever. MPEG4...whatever.

Now if I could get anything other than PBS in OTA HD.

3. Mar 8, 2006 #3 of 11
    Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    I don't ever plan on dumping my Hr10. I get all OTA stations and once DTV dumps all MPEG2 HD channels it is still a SD Tivo and HD OTA Tivo.

4. Mar 9, 2006 #4 of 11
    cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    I wonder what happens if you buy a lease box off ebay? D* will probably charge the other person the fee for not returning it and then try to tell you that you have to pay a lease fee to active it too, even thought they have payed the non-return fee, which would make it an owned until.

I think I'd be careful buying any currently sold by D* off of e-bay now.

5. Mar 9, 2006 #5 of 11
    purwater

purwater AllStar

Mar 23, 2005
    I'm looking at the HD Tivos on Ebay myself, but I'm wondering what happens with the whole lease mess. Maybe the 3/31 grace period will allow for activation as an owned unit until all the wrinkles are fixed.

6. Mar 9, 2006 #6 of 11
    dcmustang00

dcmustang00 Cool Member

Feb 20, 2006
    Once a receiver is considered "non-returned," it is now owned by the person who didn't return it.

Be sure to tell us you bought it out-right and we can make it owned.

Disclaimer: This may change at any time.

7. muledoggie

muledoggie AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 6, 2004
    ... and cheap disk/recording space upgrades

Jeff

8. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    Will they turn off SD mpeg2 at the same time as HDmpeg2? didnt know so figured i'd ask. Heck if this will always pick up SD, the HDtivo can't possibly have been a bad investment.

I was thinking it would just be a 5 dollar OTA tivo.

9. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    I can't imagine the SD MPEG2 feeds being converted to MPEG-4 anytime in the next2-3 years if then. That would involve replacing EVERY receiver.

EDIT: Opps, added "converted to MPEG-4"

10. kay

kay AllStar

Nov 27, 2005
    hmmm...

11. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    i think you need to get the serial number and call directv...it's the only way to ensure you can activate it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.